Thursday, December 02, 2010

Am I Doing a Good Job?

Much to my surprise, our administrative assistant (secretary), asked me if she were doing a good job. As I responded to her with effusive affirmation, she pressed me for how she could improve. We ended up with some positive ways to do better. In our discussion, it occurred to me to ask her the same question of myself. Soon I spent the day examining my own job performance and assessing the daily productivity and success or lack thereof. It made for an excellent day of honesty with goals detailed for improvement.

But how often do we ask ourselves this question? Are you able to ask your supervisor or perhaps even peer the same question? Can you open yourself up to this kind of criticism? Is your confidence so fragile that even slight vulnerability is potentially malignant to your entire being? If so, perhaps it is time to rethink your own level of achievement and self-esteem.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger." Too often we are so afraid of criticism that we mentally lock ourselves into a room where nothing will hurt us. There is safety in silence and no barbs exist in a vacuum of solitude. I prefer living in a world without problems, and I would like for everything to be positive. Yet there is no doubt that as I look back, while I prefer the path of least resistance, I grow more from the obstacles in front of me.

Most criticism leveled is overstated and has a personal spirit that cannot be considered collective. This is necessary as we wade through waters of truth and emotional responses to events. This stated, at the same time, most criticism contains a grain of truth that warrants some kind of reaction. Rather than dismissing the invective as worthless tripe from an ignorant individual, we should consider how to fix the perceived problem. Not to overreact to it, but perhaps to grow from it in some way.

This then comes back to those necessary ingredients for success--humility and self-esteem. Humility gives us a sense of needing to improve, knowing we have much to do and a long way to travel. Self-esteem reminds us that we are worthy people in spite of our many failings and mistakes. Both of these qualities working congruently propel us to the next step of productivity and achievement.

Am I doing a good job? Perhaps in many ways yes, but there certainly is still a long road ahead full of bumps and challenges. The journey toward excellence continues and while I relish the ease, I also know to be ready and open to the tough spots.

No comments: