Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Exercise, Running--A Euphoric Drug

As mentioned in earlier posts, I have addictive behavior tendencies as exemplified by my interests and desire to learn everything about certain things. Knowing this, I remain wisely guarded against those behaviors that are harmful in any sense, instead emphasizing those things that help me learn, that help me in some way or at least interest me in terms of my career.

My colleague Lance recently ran a marathon and my friend Mike continues to extol the virtues of exercise and staying in shape. Another friend Corey remains committed to keeping his weight in control by dieting and exercise. These influences have helped keep me accountable in spite of my personal hatred of exercising. Yet each morning I wake up at 5 a.m., do 300 jumping jacks, 100 situps, and 50 pushups followed by a cup of coffee! Lately, however, I have added running to my smorgasbord of exercise.

Coming home before dark, changing into running clothes, I head out for a mile or two of running. It is tough at first and I wonder if I can make it. But after several steps, I fall into a rhythm of sorts and keep my goals in mind. Music moves through my head, matching my feet and aiding in the motor rhythm of my run. Wanting to quit pervades my thoughts, but I run on anyway, relentlessly committed to the end. What pain inflicts my legs, my lungs, even my head as the pressure builds, and I begin to doubt the wisdom of this run.

Finally after several years that really were just a few minutes, I am done. Miserable at first, I settle down and discover a level of joy not experienced earlier. The endorphins set in and the world becomes a better place. Body hurts a little, but the mind feels more alive and vigorous. A strong sense of euphoria and natural high mixed with confidence becomes prevalent and suddenly I feel great.

Okay, I still hate it, but I also love it. But it is probably wise to avoid "over-doing" it at the age of 50. Exercise is good, fun, powerful, and amazingly beneficial, yet moderation and balance is the key.

No comments: