Monday, December 20, 2010

My Visual Rights--That Darn Gorilla


Living in the country, approximately 6 miles from civilization, shopping, restaurants, schools, and traffic lights, I drive past a car dealership several times a day. It is with great interest that I see various and sundry ways to attract customers. I have written about the use of the American Flag, ubiquitously placed on every vehicle, forcing the inevitable patriotic moment in anyone passing by. Maybe there is a veiled guilt-inflicting manipulation of emotions, "if you are patriotic, you will purchase a vehicle from us."

Sadly, I think many businesses in our area are struggling, needing customers, needing to move their stock, needing some kind of purchase to help pay the bills. I do not begrudge at all the right for businesses to develop marketing systems as they advertise their product. In fact, marketing has become so complex the last few years, it is difficult to know the best way to spread the word of what is offered. Newspapers, websites, emails, brochures, large signs, fliers, are all used in abundance. It is often heart-wrenching to see a small business try to compete with the Walmarts of the world, and I certainly support the Mom and Pop store struggling to make ends meet.

All this to say, I am just not sure about the gorilla on top of the car dealership. It is a massively obnoxious air-filled gorilla replete with teeth, arms, legs, and a substantial torso--ideal for chest pounding I suppose. Some kind of Abominable King Kong monster beast. The gorilla is gray except for the yellow and red "clothing" that gives him a slight sense of humanness or "everyman" look. Perhaps though, it is the white teeth that are the most prominent feature. The gorilla is several stories high and lords over the entire region while standing on the top of the dealership. It is a bold balloon that is tied up to prevent it from being a blimp high in the sky.

But why a gorilla? Does it make the figurative statement that there is a jungle in the world and if you buy our vehicles you will be safe? Or perhaps it is more that the gorilla will pounce on you and pulverize you if you do not buy one of our vehicles. Or maybe that the gorilla is a person too and owns one of the vehicles, therefore you should as well.

Of course I do not have to look at it, although that would be tough. I could keep my eyes on the road (probably a good idea) and avoid glancing at the monstrosity. But, wow, it sure is big. Has its presence encouraged me to stop and look at the vehicles? No. Maybe it works for other people. Not sure. For me though, in some ways, I feel manipulated and shackled by the gorilla. I have the visual right to see what I want to see and right now I do not want to look at the darn gorilla. But I have to by virtue of its size. So I kind of think my rights are violated in this instance. Furthermore I think it is a waste of time and energy. Of course this brings to mind my actual rights which are pretty minimum at best and certainly not worth any effort of thought. Nevertheless it is fun to think I could go to court and demand restitution for the emotional strain of the violation of my visual rights!

But if I did pursue this absurd litigious action, would the gorilla then come alive and devour me in the courtroom? Probably so. His power could be greater than my own banal attempt to get money for the visual violation. He is a big one, but I don't have to look at him and I don't even have to respond in any way. His purpose, his very reason for existence is to bring in more customers. Likely he is simply another advertising gimic and not worth too much analysis. Simply an attention grabber.

To add to the funny advertising gimic, the same dealership also has a hot air balloon nearby and Texas flags on every car and truck on the lot. So maybe, just maybe, the gorilla ploy is not working very well. Whatever, it is certainly becoming an icon in our area. Time to return to the jungle I say.

No comments: