Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Attack Dog

I got closer to the house and saw the German Shepherd in the road. He had always been tied up in the past. I enjoy running and often run by the red brick home, a nice home near the highway with a tree house in the front yard tree and a couple of children's bicycles nearby. The family owns three dogs--small, medium, and large--and usually two of the three dogs are loose. Now understand that my knowledge and even love of dogs is somewhat limited. I recognize some types of dogs and have owned several in my life, but overall I don't harbor any great love for animals in general. I'm glad we have dogs in the world and many of them have a pleasant pet-like disposition. I can also certainly see the benefit of a dog in the backyard to warn of predators or potential thieves.

The idea of a dog being man's best friend does not appeal to me and while I respect someone's desire to own one, at this point in my life I prefer not to do so. I will pet them or play with them when I see them and occasionally find myself in one of those strange one sided dog-like conversations. You know the type: "Hey boy, how are you doing today? Having a good day? Did you get some good food? Are they treating you okay? Do you like this weather?" Things like that. Somehow we get it in our minds the dog understands what we are saying.

Of course, like anyone I am a little weak when a friendly dog wags his tail and wants to play or sit in my lap or something nice. These behaviors are acceptable and make me happy for the dog's existence. But overall, in my way of thinking--they are just dogs. No more and no less.

So when I saw the German Shepherd, I should have turned and gone the other way. But no. I have a stubborn side that does not want to run away from trouble. I prefer to meet it head on. Continuing toward the house, I decided to increase my speed. Meeting trouble face to face is okay, but also racing by might be acceptable!

Suddenly, as I got in front of the house, the three dogs tore out after me. I yelled at them in my broken winded voice and two of them stopped. The Shepherd, however, continued. Glancing at his bared teeth and hearing his snarl, I realized he was intent on tearing a chunk out of my leg. Stopping immediately, knowing I could never outrun him, I looked at him and using my brilliant verbosity said to him, "Okay, calm down, everything is going to be fine." He was quite larger, getting larger by the second, and I had nothing with which to stop him. His mouth came within a few inches of my thigh when I clapped loudly and yelled. This stopped him momentarily and I decided to step slowly out of the range of the house. I returned the way I came, shaking and wondering how close to serious damage I was.

What should I do now? Tell the owners to keep their dog tied? Call the police? Call a lawyer? Or wisely avoid running by the house? It is my right to run freely on the road in front of the house. It is the owner's right to have a dog. But the owner is liable for damage to a pedestrian outside of his property. Perhaps I should run by the house again and hope for a dogbite leading to a lawsuit! That is the American way I suspect.

In the end, unless my stubborn side reigns over my wisdom side, I will likely avoid running by the house in the future. But it sure is irritating.

No comments: