Thursday, December 23, 2010

Shopping with Joel

It's always an adventure of sorts when shopping with Joel. Needing some last minute gifts, we headed to Beall's for one or two specific items. I tend to keep a running dialog with Joel, most of which goes unanswered. But I like to talk with him and express my thoughts in the hopes that he will try to relate to my conversation, my feelings, my goals. We spent a few minutes in Bealls with Joel being very perplexed as to why the shirt we got for him for his birthday a few weeks ago was the same one in the package at Bealls. I explained they had several of the same color and type but reminded him we were not there for him but instead were shopping for other people.

Leaving Bealls we walked across the outdoor shopping center and stopped at Burke's Outlet. We walked to the men's section and this time Joel began looking at the ties. It was more difficult this time to get him away until I mentioned we could wait until after Christmas and see if the ties were on sale. He liked that idea and we left. So far, he was not interested in buying something for another person than himself!

Deciding to go to Walmart, we parked several miles (okay, it felt like it anyway) away, and went inside. I reminded Joel several times to stay close which was particularly important since he had forgotten his cell phone. I walked to the left to get some salmon for dinner and when I turned around Joel was gone. Looking for him and nearly panicking, I began to think logically about where he would go. Gummy Worms--his favorite treat! As I headed toward the aisle, here he came holding two packages of Gummy Worms.

I reminded him to stay close to me and we left Walmart (no easy task since Joel stopped and talked and hugged about 5 people on the way out) and headed to J.C. Penney at the mall. We walked into Penneys and Joel once again looked at the shirts and ties. Deciding to go next door to Hibbett Sports and hearing how thirsty he was, I asked him if he would like to go get a drink at Chikfila. He said sure and left while I waited in a line to check out.

Soon he returned holding a milk shake and a big smile on his face. The spoon was in it which was my first concern. He will not use a straw for any kind of ice cream drink. A spoon is always required. But as he stood there, I knew something else was wrong. Soon he said, "Dad, once again we have to deal with the cherry."

Until I removed the cherry, Joel would not drink the shake. He would stand there holding it and staring at the cherry and the drink would go untouched. So I took the cherry out and held it in my hand while checking out of the sports store. Joel said nothing more and waited for me on the bench outside of the store. I sat with him as he finished and we returned to the truck for the trip home.

All in a day of shopping with Joel. The adventure continues!

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Ah yes, I remember the cherry incident last year when he got a milkshake from chik-fil-a. I laughed out loud when reading that!