Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Dress at the Tuckers

Christmas is a funny time and often includes misunderstandings and irony. How often have we received the same gift from two different people? Or given a gift with the price tag on it showing a big sale. Or given someone a gift only to receive the same thing? These things are awkward but make Christmas enjoyable as well.

After driving a considerable distance to have Christmas with my parents, my wife and I looked forward to opening presents. This was "before children" so we were still able to complete sentences back then! I recall the strange/funny time when my mother opened her present from my father and somehow holding her smile said something like, "Wow, this is great, even though I don't wear a size 12, and it is the same kind of dress I picked out for Sallie!" Sallie was the name for my grandmother, my mother's mother, and she was known to everyone simply as Sallie. So my first thought when my mother said these words was that my amazing dad sensed that my mother liked this particular kind of dress, but he didn't know my mom's correct size. His innate perception of people had led him to buy for my mother what she was buying for her own mother.

Then Mom asked Dad where he got the present. He answered at the local clothing store downtown. She said that was where she bought the dress for Sallie. They then looked at each other strangely and he said that he walked up to main counter asked if Jan Tucker had placed anything on layaway. The answer was yes and they produced this dress. Dad, thinking Mom had placed it on layaway for him to purchase for her, bought the dress, had it gift wrapped, and placed it under the tree.

After several confusing looks and awkward explanations, the mystery was cleared up and we had a good laugh. Unfortunately that meant Dad had nothing for Mom which I'm sure he rectified as soon as possible.

Ah, families and Christmas!

No comments: