Friday, January 27, 2012

LP IX--Sadness, Joy, Perceptions

The play was called Lovesong, an elegantly produced story of a couple early in their marriage and at the end of their lives. Intertwining the events together, we were given the joys of love, the fears of problems, the trite, the depth, the powerful emotions of a gripping story, and finally the passing. On either side of the dialog were dancing between old and old, young and young, and dream-like sequences between young and old. The music was beautiful, the story enrapturing, and the acting superb. I was moved to tears as the lady ended her life in order to preserve her dignity.

We left thinking about the symbolism of the play, the sadness and the joys, but after a few minutes on the tube train, an announcement came that the line was closed due to illness of a passenger. We exited that train, took some stairs to a different line and resumed our long journey home. Discussion ensued about an illness that would shut down a train and my suspicions were later confirmed, a suicide had occurred. In deep sorrow, and after arriving home, I went on a walk with Dr. Landwer. We saw a drunk in a business suit stumbling about the streets. It provided great comical relief until I later began to reflect on the difficulties of managing the London streets under the influence of alcohol. Crossing the streets of London is dangerous in a sober condition. I found myself in prayer for the drunk man and for those who lives are filled with sadness that causes those kinds of problems.

But the next morning after a 2 mile run through Russell Square, I jumped on the tube and headed toward Acton Town to find the Asian Music Centre with a museum. One of my many responsibilities is to scout out directions and places for our plays and experiences. Needing to check on the Asian music museum but also curious about possibilities for my other class, I often travel to parts of London to see if I think the experience will be beneficial for the students.

Getting a little lost but in the general direction, I stopped at a place called Tech Music School to get directions. Walking in I was shocked to see guitars on the wall and students in line. The young fellow at the desk, with a deep voice and dark short hair was busy telling each student what room and what was expected. Getting to me, he seemed a little surprised to find a bald-headed American in front of him. I asked him about the school and the possibility of a tour. He was not open to that and seemed very busy. I mentioned to him that his voice was impressive and he reminded me of Johnny Cash as a young man. He gave me a quick smile and said that was what he did, Johnny Cash impersonations with a band. I told him that back in Texas many of us listened to Johnny Cash music. He then told me he had toured through Texas and parts of the United States singing Johnny Cash music. He was about to tour again through the United Kingdom and back to the United States.



Knocked out by this news, I told him how impressed I was with the Music Tech school and wondered about someone talking to the Rock and Roll class about the music industry. He suddenly became very helpful and we set it up. The class will now have an opportunity to see real live training of rock musicians and hear from someone in the industry at one of the largest training grounds in London. Excited about this opportunity, I still had not found the museum. I walked some more and found a dilapidated building with a sign Asian Music Centre. The locked door discouraged me, but I knocked loudly and waited. Soon a very tall young man opened the door with a perplexed look. I hesitantly asked about the museum and he smiled and said "Come in and see it."




I walked into a small but very modern looking museum filled with wonderful Asian instruments. Each one had a matching video with it showing how to play. He then showed me a fun, interactive chamber for creating Asian Music. It was all very new and vastly educational. I had hit a jackpot for the Music Appreciation class. A charming lady then found me and said she could give us a talk on Asian music. I scheduled it and realized the day was a success for Rock music and for Music Appreciation. And then the best news of the day occurred, she told me a quicker route to the nearest tube and saved me several miles of further walking!




A short rest and a small group headed to the Texas Embassy for dinner that included enchiladas, rice, and beans in old-fashioned Tex-Mex style. Ah, a moment for Texas. We then walked a short distance to St. Martin in the Fields for a concert. And what a concert it was. Brahms Requiem with a smaller orchestra and incredible choir. With a dynamic range rarely heard and emotion powerful enough to increase the pulse, the performance was exquisite in all respects. The Requiem by Johannes Brahms is one of the greatest works in the repertoire and one that never fails to move the audience. The soloists were rich in tone and vibrancy and the orchestra so well in tune, it sounded like a pipe organ. The gorgeous church was the perfect setting for the event and we left feeling emotionally changed by the experience.




We survived the streets full of buses, cars, and motorcycles and returned home unharmed. While I feel blessed to be in London, it was nice to have a Texas moment. Aside from the craziness of crossing streets which is an adventure each time, I enjoy the busy world of sounds around me. The music of London is found in the concert halls, the parks, the streets, and the people. I love the music of the world with its occasional harshness and warm beauty.

No comments: