Sunday, January 15, 2012

London Post--I (Hereby LP I)

The nearly 10 hour flight from DFW to London Heathrow was uneventful except for feeling cramped the whole time. Maybe someday I can afford to get first class where they have leg room and can stretch out. After a little sleep on the plane I was both wired and tired but mainly excited about being in London. The tube trip to Russell Square took nearly 45 minutes most of it standing due to the crowds. Living in the country on 13 acres where space is the norm is quite different from being 1 or 2 inches from a stranger. People are generally nice and pleasant but not given to small talk with a stranger. So for 10 hours on the plane and 45 minutes on the tube, I spoke to nobody. Feels odd.

Found the place where I am staying and got checked in. The room is small and not fancy but should be adequate for my needs. Forgot about the showers being so small and the beds being very firm. But I probably am a little spoiled these days. Still in spite of a couple of living challenges, London is a great place to be. I went for a long walk and got lost which is what I wanted to do! Eventually I found a bookstore (no surprise there) and asked where I was and how to get back to Russell Square. Suddenly I was walking by the British Museum which is 2 blocks from where I live and was reminded that it is one of the largest and most complete museums in the world. Can't wait to visit it again.

Last night I ate fish and chips and nearly finished the massive piece of fried cod. It was great but too much for me even after a day of not eating anything. Slept most of the night but am still experiencing jet lag and time adjustment. Got up this morning and went and drank a terrific cup of coffee at one of the nearby coffee shops. Not as nice as Common Grounds in Brownwood, but almost!

About to get ready to go to St. Paul's Cathedral in London for worship. I am planning to worship often and with as much variety as I can find. There are many ways to worship God and many settings to do so here in London. Today will be a high church Anglican service in one of the most beautiful settings in the world. No drums or guitars today!

On the downside, my feet hurt a little from lots of walking and I forgot to exchange my American money for British pounds. I still cannot differentiate the coins here and have much to learn about the customs. While everyone speaks English, many are from other countries and it is hard to understand the accents and language subtleties from the workers. But I do love the challenge and am not afraid to ask questions.

London and I meet together for over 3 months and the meeting will be grand!

No comments: