Tuesday, January 17, 2012

LP III--Rock Out

Jumping and screaming as the glitter and shiny streamers fell upon us, and as we enthusiastically cheered for the amazing performers on stage, I was caught up in the maelstrom of the energy. It was the show Rock of Ages featuring music and styles from the 80s, including Foreigner, Journey, Stevie Nicks, Styx, Twisted Sister, Bon Jovi, and several others. The show was a voltage burning, head banging blast, constantly making fun of the time period while acknowledging the cultural significance. Very loud music, several inappropriate actions, and foul language were somewhat mentally displaced as the muscular bass and pulsing drums pounded out the beat and supported the incredible singers on the stage. All of it very fun but also strangely profound as the two lead singers eventually gave up on their original dreams, found each other, and launched a new dream of raising a family.

That was last night in London. This morning was another very long and intense walk that took me to the British Library and a few moments on a short block of music stores. Disappointment accompanied my thoughts when I walked into a book store laden full of Rock music books and memorabilia only to discover it was primarily an adult store and very inappropriate. Why can we not enjoy rock music without the garbage that sometimes trails along? Great question and one I hope to answer in the next few months.

In my observations, I noticed a significant lack of facial hair from most of the men except for a few college aged students. I also noticed smaller people in general both in height and in girth. This is probably due to the walking by the people or perhaps the type of food that is offered. Not entirely sure though. Maybe I see less make-up from the ladies and fewer formal dressers in my walks around London and maybe I see people whose lives seem goal-directed and not quite as happy. But again, I am not convinced this is true and time will determine such sweeping generalities.

I did walk into a coffee shop while holding a Starbucks coffee cup and asked the whereabouts of of a vintage record shop in the area. The proprietor quickly and almost harshly glanced at me and said he did not know. I proceeded to repeat my question to the other workers and to the people around me and received the same abrupt response. On my way out, the proprietor said something that sounded like a growl and to leave the Starbucks coffee outside! Smiling, I reminded myself that Starbucks is primarily American and probably a little threatening to the small London coffee shops. I need to improve my sensitivity.

In spite of very sore feet, tired legs, lack of sleep (I can't seem to get the time change under control), and being lost half the time I am walking about, I am having a grand time learning the city, learning the culture, and experiencing one of the greatest cities in the world. This morning I went to a pancake coffee house only to discover there were no pancakes. They were referencing thin crepes filled with eggs, cheese, and ham. Delicious but not the pancakes I sought. He asked if I would like maple syrup and I said yes and received a very small cup with enough maple syrup for a flea. Where do I find big, fluffy pancakes slathered in butter and dripping with syrup? Probably not until late April when I return to Texas!

No comments: