Tuesday, January 24, 2012

London VIII--Animals and Running


People here are polite and formal but the animals are not. I was running in Russell Square when a pigeon walked in front of me. Hopping over to avoid the little head-bobbing bird, I nearly stepped on another one that popped up from the bush. Frustrated with their rudeness and tired of seeing their little heads bounce up and down without stopping, I continued my run. Passing by an elderly gentleman who was staring upward, I came upon a lady and her dog.

The little dog was dressed in a cute sweater and his pointed ears gave him an alertness I found rather amusing. Smiling at the little thing and thinking about that sweater, I continued my run around the square. On the second time around, they had gone a few steps but were in a relaxed mode. The little cute dog in the sweater was not so cute this time as he stepped in front of me. His very short legs were moving quickly but his body was nearly stationary, as though he were on a treadmill that was moving very fast. It was really quite comical until I realized I must go into the grass which was slightly muddy. The mud slowed me down and made my feet wet. On another day I might have thought about little Andrew from Mary Poppins and maybe I would have attempted a conversation, but on this day he was just plain irritating. Especially annoying was that his sweater was much more attractive than my gray sweats.

Later in the day as I was walking through Hammersmith Borough, I spied a small bakery with fresh bread. Making my way in, I ordered the bread and the lady asked me if I would like butter with it. I said yes and she buttered the delicious item for me, wrapped it in a package, and said thank you. I returned the thanks, paid one pound, and left with a smile on my face, ready to eat my bread.

Continuing my walk through Hammersmith and taking delicious morsels from my bread, I suddenly felt something on my foot. A quick glance down and I realized a bird from above had mistaken my right shoe for a toilet. Disconcerted yet strangely forgiving, I continued my journey with a greater appreciation for the hat on my head. The bird could not help the unfortunate event and I was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. A interesting day I suppose and humbling without being painful. London continues to have surprises around every corner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it....we experienced crazy bicylcle riders in Vienna....they always have the right of way apparently....have a great day and don't forget to watch out for crazy dogs in cute sweaters!
Carrah

Anonymous said...

Pigeons are used to polite people who give way to them.