Saturday, January 21, 2012

LP V--Shows and Food

I got up early today with the teachers and students to send them off on what is called a Tube Rallye. This is a big London scavenger hunt to discover London. They will be at it all day and will bring back pictures proving their findings. After they left, I went for a mile run in the park. I started to hit two miles but changed my mind since I have several things I need to do today. Cleaning up and straightening my room, I came to the coffee shop to reflect on yesterday.

The British professor took the group on a London Walk where we saw the outside of several museums, churches, and shops. We covered much of central London and walked out on a bridge over the Thames River. It was a lengthy walk and on the cold side, resulting in lots of tired people. Returning to the Pickwick and after a brief rest, I and Dr. Landwer who is the coordinator for the program, walked over to one of the finest Italian restaurants I have experienced. Wonderful lasagna and garlic bread touched my palate gently as I ate the delicious food. I find the food in London to be tasty and varied and I have yet to have anything that was not excellent. Soups, bread, meats, and all entrees are perfectly prepared.

Thinking that the evening could not get better after one of the best meals I have had, we began our walking journey to the show Shrek the Musical. Like the students, I was not convinced it would be a good show. After all, Shrek is sort of a cartoon and more for kids in general. Our seats were in the lower balcony and once we were settled, I began to study the theatre. Gorgeous hall replete with ornate columns, balcony extensions, and charming London architecture. Not huge, the theatre was designed for optimal acoustics and excellent visuals. Aside from the very close quarters (I guess Londoners are used to being close to each other), the seats were comfortable and ideally suited for a theatre experience.

Shrek is an average plot that we have all read and heard before. Ugly guy falls in love with pretty girl and they end up together. Ho-hum. But on stage, the typical story comes alive with humor, fear, energy, terrific songs, and non-stop creativity. Each moment was sheer entertainment from the word go. Each set was wonderfully intricate and contained motion and shimmering lighting that added to the moment. The costumes were nothing less than incredible but were second to the high level professional acting.

Wild, fun songs with a blend of country, rock, folk, and hints of classical all came together to provide a musical of joy, humor, and non-stop energy. Clever text that matched the melodies and bass line to perfection reached a bouncing audience that soon had the entire theatre moving to the exalted beat. Really just a blast all the way through. Lord Farquaad was a hilarious scream with his short legs, rude quips, and hidden gay references. His personal qualities were weak partly due to being the son of one of the Seven Dwarves! Too cute to hate, the audience knew he would receive justice in the end.

Sets that included a flying and singing dragon, a bridge over fire, a castle, a mysterious cabin, and a magical forest kept the audience electrified throughout the performance. Great singing, acting, and dancing worked together for one of the great entertaining experiences I have had in years. What a joy!

Ah the fun of London. More to do, more to see, more to analyze, and more to experience. Having a great time!

No comments: