Saturday, July 08, 2006

Reading for pleasure. Reading for knowledge. Reading for personal application. I find reading to be one of the great enjoyments of life and have been an avid reader since I can remember. Like my tastes in music which are vast and eclectic, my tastes in books are quite diverse and encompassing of many interests. I look forward to writing about music and will do so when I feel so led, but today I write about writing and about reading.

I generally read approximately 2 sometimes 3 books a week. I read in the mornings, some afternoons when I can and every night. I lean on fiction although I do enjoy reading journals, magazines, poetry, articles, history, and newspapers. Right now I am alternating between four books of various styles and interests. Each book provides an element of satisfaction at any given moment. Now some would call this alternating practice to be a lack of focus, and I can't disagree with that criticism. I am guilty of this "attention deficit disorder" problem when it comes to reading, watching television, writing music, working around the house, and even dealing with people. Yet I also derive great pleasure from reading 20 pages of Charles Dickens followed by an article on whether we are in a long term Bull market or will the Bears rear their ugly head on Wall Street.

It has been said that our current worldview is shaped by our most recent experiences. If a person is reading four books, is his worldview confused and directionless? Or rather is it comprehensive and broad? I choose to accept the latter view!

So I am reading Hard Times by Charles Dickens. A marvelous book with its emphasis on academic rigor versus human expression. A book that extols the virtues of both and the ultimate marriage of emotions and compassion with knowledge. Dickens also explores human suffering and the victory over pain that we can achieve. Dickens certainly must be one of the greatest writers who ever lived and whose books continued to have a profound influence on writers and moralistic thought in today's culture.

I am also reading To The Last Man by Jeff Shaara. This is a well-written and precisely documented narrative of World War I as seen by a few select "heroes" of the war. Mr. Shaara is one of my favorite authors and makes history come alive by exploring the personal thoughts of the individuals who made a difference. I am especially taken with his explanations of how the men in the war dealt with the physical challenges of the weapons at their disposal. I have always been more interested in micro-history of the people than macro-history of governments and politics. Mr. Shaara is able to present both concepts and completing one of his books will give the reader a sensitive and accurate view of the war being discussed.

My most interesting ride has been in John Irving's Until I Find You. While I am often put off by his disingenuous geometrical style of writing, I am beginnning to relish in the opportunity to interpret and moralize based on the events within the story. It is difficult for me to recommend Mr. Irving's books, since I can't always decide about their quality. But there is no doubt that he is a major living literary figure whose writings contain an abundance of hidden meanings and dichotomous philosophies. I am looking forward to completing Until I Find You. I do think, however, that I must be careful not to look examine modern life and people in terms of what I read in this book. I can thankfully say that I do not know anybody similar to the characters in this book!

The last book I am reading is a human interest but oddly dark novel called The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards. It is very well written and is based on a frightening concept of choice and living with the choices made. It also places an underlying emphasis on the value of human life and love. I am enjoying this book immensely and like often happens, I do not want this book to end since I am benefitting from the journey.

I urge you to read. You don't have to read four books at once (in fact, I strongly suggest you not). You don't have to read fiction. But do read. Read for pleasure. Read for knowledge. Read for application. Take a few minutes today to broaden your world--read!

No comments: