Thursday, July 06, 2006

History. Gone. No more. The gigantic helium filled ape with large protruding arms and vicious teeth glaring at all the passersby has been removed. For several weeks, as I drove from home to work, I came down a long hill and was met by the largest gorilla I have ever experienced. Granted, I have not had any personal contact with King Kong nor have I spent any time in the jungle so my experience with apes is rather limited. But that aside, I still believe this ape to be incredibly large. I estimate his size at 50 feet and his demeanor, while stagnant and unchanging upon a second look, to be ferocious and frightening with a hint of fanaticism.

Now I suppose the car lot that has been the home for this enormous ape, has benefited from his size and appearance. I assume his presence was for the sole purpose of attracting attention to the shiny new vehicles for sale throughout the lot. Kind of the same reason I have seen American flags attached to every car in the past or large banners advertising rebates and various discounts. We are a visual society and car lots enjoy taking advantage of that trait in all of us.

Back to our ape. As I drove by the ape every morning, I began to question not only his role and purpose but also his past and maybe his future. He was initially frightening but also rather comical during his prime. He presented a fierce reality on many levels that I found both disconcerting and rewarding at the same time. You see, we all have our larger than life gorillas that follow us around.

Your gorilla could be money or relationships or time or organization or one of many challenges that we face every day. Perhaps your gorilla is a past situation that occasionally bothers you or perhaps your gorilla is a current fear of something out of your control. That large ape hovers over you and doesn't seem to let you go. He glares at you and exerts negative vibrations that affects every aspect of your life. Your gorilla might be fear or health or even philosophy or worldview. I believe it is important to at least identify the gorilla that is in your life.

But let's look at the facts for a moment. Each morning as I drove by that enormous ape and was shocked by his appearance, I simply continued on and saw him no more. Eventually, he was taken down and will probably show up somewhere else someday. He is temporary, not real, has no personality, no value system, no lasting qualities, no character, and is full of hot air. He means nothing other than a moment of self attained hubris that has no foundation. The ape is fleeting and only superficially frightening. He can't hurt you and he has no future.

I encourage you to identify your gorilla and recognize how to deal with him. He is not as imposing as he appears and he will go away. The relationships you have now have lasting value. Don't love the gorilla. Instead love the people. The friendships and love you offer today make a difference in the world. Don't dwell on the ape, he is gone!

No comments: