Thursday, July 20, 2006

Discount cards. My wallet is full of them. I have a discount card for books, groceries, auto parts, hardware, over the counter drugs, coffee, desserts, and a myriad of fast food restaurants. Virtually every time I purchase something I get asked if I have a discount card for that particular vendor. If I don't, I get handed a form and an encouragement to spend extra money now so I can save 10% later. Sometimes the cards are free but often they are an additional expense. If I choose not to get a card, I usually receive an inquisitive look that says "How can you be so stupid as to not have one of our discount cards. You must be an idiot." I have actually been told that I was not making a wise decision by not getting a card.

I find myself digging through my wallet to find the correct card to match the vendor. It gets frustrating and takes additional time. The result is often a savings of a few cents and lots of anger on my part. My thinking is this: I think they should charge what they think they need to charge and it is my choice whether to shop there or not. The market should determine the price as well as my decision to purchase. I do not enjoy having to deal with finding a card.

Yet, I continue to play the game so as to get a small discount and to avoid the "look" from the cashier. But the day I see a sign saying "we charge the least and do not use discount cards" is the day I begin using that vendor.

No comments: