Monday, July 17, 2006

I arrived home yesterday after a week away at Texas Baptist All-State Choir and Band. It was an exhausting but rewarding week making music, friends, and honoring God through music. I enjoyed myself immensely but also worked very hard to make it a positive experience for all the students.

I received many compliments on the piece of music I wrote entitled "Visions." It was in a free form and based on the hymn tune Slane otherwise known as "Be Thou My Vision." It was set in multiple meters with emphasis on rhythm and constant shifting of harmony and thematic alternation. The main theme does not occur until the last third of the piece although thematic material is interjected much earlier. The audience responded quite well to the piece and many students said it was their favorite piece on the program. We also performed Wagner's Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral but had some difficulty at the beginning. The ending, however, was glorious and received a strong ovation from the audience.

It was quite a week and one I won't forget for a long time. Seeing old friends made the week even more worthwhile. I am a believer in Baptist All-State and continue to encourage greater participation and development.

No comments: