Sunday, July 09, 2006

Baptist All-State began in 1976 as a dream of Royce Dowell and Sam Prestige. It was designed as a way to gather talented high school age students active in their Baptist churches together for a week of music making through performance, worship, and ministry. It began as a choir only including a smaller more select group called Living Song and later expanded to a band within two years followed by the addition of handbells, strings, jazz, and praise teams. Over its 30 years of existence, the organization has traveled throughout the State of Texas, New Mexico, Arkansas, Louisiana, and the country of Mexico. It has been as small as 95 and as large as well over 400. The first director of the choir was Dr. Loyd Hawthorne from Hardin-Simmons University and the first Baptist All-State was located on the campus of Dallas Baptist University.

This year marks the 30th Anniversity of Baptist All-State and once again it will meet on the DBU campus. I was in the first choir back in 1976 and sang in the choir for two more years after that. As an aside, Royce Dowell drove to El Paso to listen to some students audition for Baptist All-State. I recall being very nervous at the audition and shocked when I received the letter saying I had been accepted. I was so excited and surprised since I do not have a very pleasant voice. Years later, I found out that Royce had aceepted everyone since there were less than 100!

I have also directed the band four times, been a sponsor five times and am the director again of the band this year. I have also had the privilege to write a composition for the organization at the commission of the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The composition is called Toccata for Band and is advanced free style piece based on the hymn tune Slane which we know as Be Thou My Vision.

I have watched thousands of young men and women commit their lives to Christ through music at Baptist All-State and have repeatedly witnessed the transformation of students during the week. I believe in the value of Baptist All-State and feel honored to be a part of the institution.

I am anticipating a busy, fun, and Spirit-filled week of Bible study, music, prayer, fellowship, intensity, and joy. A by-product of Baptist All-State is the opportunity to see friends and fellowship with Christian musicians. I always return from the week rejuvenated and inspired to use music in a variety of ways to further Christ's Kingdom.

Please be in prayer for us this week. There will be a concert at First Baptist Church in Grapevine on Saturday evening and another one at Shiloh Terrace Baptist Church on Sunday morning.

No comments: