Monday, August 30, 2010

Another accident

Let's begin with the end. Today the wound looks better and feels better, and the neck is not nearly as sore as it was. My eye feels less puffy and I can see clearer than yesterday. In other words, I will be fine. So why write about it? Surely there are more serious things to concern ourselves about than a dumb injury falling down stairs? Yet, it happened to me so here goes.

Thursday afternoon, while talking on the cell phone, holding a stack of music in one arm and a cell phone in the other, I was headed down the stairs to get to orchestra rehearsal. Multi-tasking as they say. Thinking about the rehearsal music, dealing with the issue on the phone, and slightly irritated that I could not "beam" myself to the rehearsal area, I made the decision to run down the stairs two steps at a time. Unfortunately perhaps due to clumsiness, or dress shoes, or steep steps, or whatever, I missed a step, accelerated down the stairs, stayed on feet and went flying into the wall. My forehead and glasses took a good hit, the sheet rock collapsed a couple of inches, and I ended up on the floor with blood pouring down my face and a neck ache similar to an auto accident.

Several people jumped in to help and the bleeding was stopped. In quite a bit of pain and several OTC medications later, I realized I needed some professional medical attention. The subsequent medical examination revealed superficial lacerations around the eye and head with some accompanying swelling but nothing serious. The neck, however was in a muscle spasm that needed to be relaxed. A steroid shot and a series of muscle relaxers have helped considerably, and I am now on the way to recovery.

Obviously, this situation was avoidable and could have been worse. It is not worth many more words so I think I'll stop writing. No need for platitudes about hurrying, multi-tasking, concentrating, or any number of life's lessons.

1 comment:

crapmycousinsays said...

don't forget the frame placed in memory of the lost sheet rock :D