Friday, March 25, 2011

London V

Works means not working. Any sign or announcement that states "...works" is a notification that there is repair taking place. This one took me awhile to understand since I assumed the object must have at one time been broken but now it works. Yet the sign "escalator works" obviously was wrong since the escalator was not working. Confusing, yes. But many things in London were different and adjusting to it was a matter of perception and open-mindedness. In the end, I truly enjoy my trip.

Taking the Piccadilly line to the Victoria Line and then hopping aboard the DLR line, I headed to the O2. http://www.aviewoncities.com/london/millenniumdome.htm. Quite a place, built at a cost of $750 million, it houses a massive arena, shops, restaurants, museums, and a movie house. I only had time to experience a small part of this astounding area, but it was sure a treat. I ran through the British Rock experience and learned much more than I expected. I particularly enjoyed a holographic presentation of how England and America influenced each other in Rock music. The final image showed a "tug-of-war" over who was the most influential or perhaps winner in Rock music. With amusement, I noticed that England won the contest!

After a nice lunch of raw eel and bean sprouts, I headed back. Stopping at Canary Wharf I was treated to yet another underground world of shopping, food, games, and every kind of modern convenience. So different from old London, Canary Wharf and the O2 demonstrate the changing world. It was nice to experience cutting edge technology and contemporary architecture, but I found myself longing to return to old London with its beautiful structures, great art, magnificent theaters and old style shops. Yes I found myself humming the children's song, "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold!"

But while humming, my usual practice by the way, I noticed nobody else would hum. In fact, very few people make noise at all. On the long tube ride, nobody said a word to anyone. Just quiet, self-reflective riding on the tube. Lots of reading, some sleeping, but no talking. Other than the roar of the train and screech of the brakes, silence. I tried to smile at people and make eye contact but there was very little of that.

A brief stop at Covent Garden and I found myself in the market, a multi-level shopping treat. While picking through some gifts for the family, I heard a beautiful sound, the sound of Bach. Migrating that way, I found a quartet performing various Bach works. Gorgeous sounds by the highest of professional players. They were selling CDs as well. What is happening in the world where the finest performers are resorting to playing on street corners to make a living? About 30 minutes later I heard an opera singer. She was incredible and singing Carmen to an accompaniment track. Can she not get work? Are there too many great musicians for the market? Is supply and demand destroying classical music? Maybe.

A group of us attended "Flare Path" on Tuesday night and enjoyed it. Very professional with a nice blend of drama and comedy. Incredible actors, rich story, and a great theatre. Stopping at a bakery while walking back, we picked up some chocolate, some bread, and various pasties. Yes I said pasties not pastries. Same thing though. We returned to the motel, found a nice room, chatted awhile and turned in. London trip over.

The ride back was eventful but also normal travel inconveniences so I'll stop writing about London soon. But I must say that London changed me a little. Opened my eyes to a world of architecture, a world of the ancients, a world of artistic application to the mundane. I feel somehow enriched by my experience. Perhaps in the end, London reminds me to keep the petty problems in a small compartment while remembering the majesty of God's world. It's a grand world out there, no sense allowing the thorns to rule the day.

No comments: