Saturday, March 19, 2011

London I

Here I am in London staying at a quaint motel on Bedford Place around the corner from the massive British museum. Cold and loud with very little space but I still love it. Of course being a little spoiled with a large home, large vehicle, and unending Texas sky, everything seems close together in London. Narrow streets, halls, lots of people, fast walkers, old close buildings, it is all very different from my spacious Texas world.

Flight was tough though. 10 hours on the plane and ended up with stiffness in every joint. Plus a lack of sleep didn't help. Slept all night though and ready for the London experience. Today is a day of tubing (not innertubing!) where I learn how to navigate the city on the subway called a tube. Some sort of fun adventure of discovery on the tube.

One thing very different is my tendency to talk to strangers. Apparently it is not done in England. I know it is not done in New England so it makes sense not to do so in old England. Still it is my natural curiosity and friendliness that makes me want to talk to people. I may try it anyway and see what happens.

Eating: I stopped at a famous fish and chips place and ordered the premium item--fish and chips. They brought it and I thought there was a mistake. There on my plate sat a nice piece of fish and a bunch of fat french fries. Plus a small bowl of guacamole. That surprised me since in Texas guacamole is reserved for nachos and salads.

So a moment of thinking about it and I dipped the fat french fry into the guacamole. It was very good but very strange and I couldn't quite place it. Then I heard someone say at another table in a strong British accent--"That fellow is dipping his chip in the mushy peas." I looked around and realized the fellow was me! It was smashed peas not guacamole. The fat fries were the chips.

But it was delicious and I enjoyed my experience. So today is my first full day in this amazing town.

No comments: