Saturday, March 19, 2011

London II

Long day of walking and sight-seeing. Lots of people and very large buses--gotta look right not left. Learning the lingo, the system, the city, and mostly the culture of London and there is plenty of it and plenty to learn. Got on the tube several times and realized the polite idea of "ladies first" is not applicable in this world. Whoever gets to the open seat first is the one who sits. So most people are standing and holding onto the steel bar. But yikes, how many years of hands have been in the same spot? Thousands upon thousands have touched the bar. Whew...trying not to think about it. Probably ought to carry some sanitizer or something.

Take away means to go. I ordered some coffee and the lady said, "take away?" I quickly said no that I will pay for it. A quizzical look followed my statement and she said "will you drink it here?" I realized my mistake and said "No, to go, I mean I will take it away." I'm sure she spent the day wondering about the dumb American.

"Way Out" does not mean far-fetched or New Age or anything. It simply means Exit. When you enter a large modern eating establishment, you should get a card. The card is used to figure out what you owe when you leave. However, if you simply walk in and use the restroom (which everyone refers to as a toilet), then you should still have a card. Nearly caused bedlam when I left the restaurant without a card. The cashier who was several feet away raised her voice and said "Stop, please turn in your card and pay." After my loud, nervous, and slightly embarrassing explanation, she smiled and said "Next time, please get a card." I took the "way out" very quickly at that point!

Apparently it is okay to be physically involved with a friend in public, provided you are in a park. This awkward moment change my mind about walking in the park or at least getting off the walking path. Enjoy the world but don't look at anyone. Nobody will say hello anyway and there are many with different lifestyles from myself. Lots of smokers I noticed and lots of "earthy" people not much concerned with appearance.

Stopped in at St. Martin in the Fields cathedral and noticed they were performing Mozart's Requiem today. Wow! I wanted to hear it and see the orchestra, but already made plans to go to Billy Elliot. Which should I do? I am a Mozartian, a Mozart fanatic, an obsessed lover of Mozart's music. But I am also a huge Broadway musical fan. Hmmmm....what a dilemma.

Okay, rather than go and on arguing with myself, I am electing to go see Billy Elliot. I have heard Mozart's Requiem many times plus have several recordings of it on iTunes. Still...a toughie for sure. Thinking more about church music, I am further convinced that architecture is driving church music. Who would want to hear or could even tolerate a minute of a praise band in a cathedral with perfect acoustics?

But my feet are sore, my legs hurt, and I am generally worn out. Is it worth it? You betcha! London, one of the greatest cities in the world.

No comments: