Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Just a few Tidbits today...

It is cold outside but warm inside. My youngest son didn't make the All-State band this year. What do these two sentences have to do with each other?

I am listening to Fernando Ortega sing and play the Deep Deep Love of Jesus. Joel is playing ping-pong on the Wii and loving it.

Sure enjoy a good cup of coffee, but only in the mornings. Currently reading three books--A Robert Parker detective mystery, a Michael Palmer medical mystery, and a biography of Theodore Roosevelt. All are good. Plus lots of great articles on teaching, academia, the future.

Exercising is minimal right now with freezing weather. Still doing the usual 300 jumping jacks, 100 situps, and 50 pushups. But no running until it is warmer.

Kind of vacillating between listening to film scores and praise and worship these days. But I interject Messiaen moments here and there as well. I love his organ music. Praise and Worship music of the Gettys is great stuff too. Really like The Power of the Cross.

Thinking more on True Grit. I am intrigued by the poetic, precise language melded with the harshness of the Cowboy world. I respect the concept of art and beauty amidst the ugly and dirty.

More writing of music and trying to finish my book. Lots to do, but with the semester about to start, I am spending more time getting things underway at school. Feeling productive though which is good. Reading, writing music, writing words, exercising, praying, listening...great life.

Back to youngest son. He feels hurt, disappointed, confused, scared, and low. He had a rough day and didn't make the band after being there two years in a row. He feels cold and unimportant, like a piece of dirt. Tough feelings.

I enjoy computers, iPhone, iPad, and all manner of work apart from humans. But wait, I also enjoy human interaction. Fun to smile, engage, apply energy, and emotion to events. Makes me want to be a politician. Wish I had several million to run for governor! Silly idea but fun to think about.

Playing piano is a release for me. Fun, creative, joyful. Gospel, jazz, praise, 12-tone, polytonality, variations on children's themes, added tones, it is all great. I continue to subscribe to the idea that all sound is music. Some simply prefer certain organization systems to their sounds. I myself lean on liking it all (okay, most!).

Looking forward to hearing my choral piece based on Jordan's Stormy Banks. I call it Promised Land. It is a complicated but fun piece. Since most people don't care for my music (aside from maybe my children's song cycle), I suspect this one won't get much acclaim. Still...you never know!

Okay, youngest son named Jordan. Didn't make All-State this year. Still same great guy, great heart, immense talent, quick wit, compassion for others, creative energy, curiosity about life, ready to conquer the world, but got knocked around this time. Think he can bounce back? Yes, he can. Tuckers are survivors. It might be cold out there, but the heart is warm and ready!

Okay, time for some reading and editing the book. Should be ready soon.

No comments: