Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Good Cup of Coffee

The years of heading out for a cup of coffee at Starbucks or Sonic or McDonalds or the latest quality coffee house are gone. I found the ideal cup and it resides at my home in the form of a Keurig coffee maker. Fresh coffee, the elixir of joy in the mornings, is now at my fingertips with no clean-up, little preparation, and fantastic flavor.

Certainly one of the great modern inventions, my new Keurig Coffeemaker is pure, unadulterated coffee happiness. Always hot, always fresh, and always tasty, it is better than any Starbucks or named brand coffees I have had. Plus the savings of money makes my wife happy as well. Approximately .50 cup sure beats $1.57 from Sonic.

So you may ask why not just make your own using the old drip system or even the percolator? Admittedly, I miss that sound of coffee percolating in the kitchen. But really, those days are gone. Nobody wants greasy, burned coffee with grounds hidden among the liquid. The drip system provides a better cup but within 30 minutes tastes old and heavy. And oh the clean-up. Filters, washing out the carafe, and wondering why the burner looks funny. Not to mention the time it took setting it up in the first place. All for an average cup of coffee.

Now I fill up the reservoir with water, press a button, pick out my coffee, press another button, and out it comes--the pleasure among pleasures--a great, fresh cup of coffee. Wow!

But all is not well in coffee land for me. On a Saturday, when I used to go to the office, run errands, take care of various situations, now I stay at home luxuriating in cup after cup of pure nirvana. I am home more. Wife is happy. But wait...am I spending more now due to wanting more? I think so. But it is without question worth it. In fact, as I sit here tonight thinking about it, I can't wait to wake up and drink some more.

I may have a problem, but my wisdom reminds me that any coffee after about 3:00 is guaranteed to keep me awake most of the night. But wait until the morning...fresh coffee from my Keurig Coffeemaker--perhaps the greatest invention known to modern man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could you expound on the "no clean up" part?
I prefer a coffee press. But, there are still the grounds in the cup. The press only makes at most three cups of coffee which does not last long enough to lose too much flavor. The press and all its parts go into the dishwasher.