Friday, July 30, 2010

Reflections

Sitting in the waiting room of the hospital, patiently concerned about my wife's procedure, a procedure considered a normal event at the age of 50, I began reflecting on how little control we actually have over our lives. Right now we are putty in the hands of the doctor, the nurses, the hospital, and in a broader sense the actions of time and health control the future. Of course we can all treat our bodies as temples and take care of ourselves, but when it comes down to it we are merely pawns in the health game of life, moving forward to the end.

Yet I am a bit of a control person in some ways. I want to own my temple and control my destiny at least a little bit if possible. So like everyone I try to eat right (naturally backsliding occasionally, love that ice cream!), exercise in mornings, walk in the evenings (not always consistently), park far away from the destination, take stairs not the elevator, use vitamins, fiber, and drink lots of water. Regular checkups, check cholesterol, watch the blood pressure, avoid bad habits (nail biting aside of course) and generally try to stay healthy.

Somehow though I am a little bit suspicious of this system, not that there is another way, but I have known health nuts who got very ill and have known chain smokers, heavy drinkers, obese people, and non-exercisers live long fruitful lives without any illness whatsoever. Yet I do think we owe it to ourselves, our friends, our family, and in a way to society to remain healthy and productive. No question that over eating and a lack of proper exercise is detrimental to good health. Also no question that taking care of yourself is an excellent hobby, one that leads to greater productivity. And although I may at times wonder about the excessive medical needs, in the end I do appreciate the medical field and the doctors who commit themselves to serving others.

But don't you every now then want to throw caution to the wind and eat a bunch of junk food and forgo exercising? Don't you ever so often feel a need to live life serving your own culinary temptations? And yet, as I write the words, I am reminded that we are a refined, civilized society, gaining strength and goodness with each passing day. So as in all things, we gain control by disciplining ourselves to know our limitations and to respect the system (at least to an extent).

Yes I will go ahead with the same procedure, but I don't have to like it!

No comments: