Friday, July 23, 2010

Materialism and another loss

Walking back to the office following a funeral of a good man, I found myself reflecting again on the story he told me several years ago. Choc Wetzel, public school administrator, cowboy, family man, deacon of the church, and all round great man, once told me a story that has stayed with me.

We were driving from his place to my little place in Bangs with an old billy goat in the back of the trailer when he suddenly pointed to a spot by the highway and said, "That's God's land right there." I looked at him rather perplexed and saw a glow on his face. He told me that when his wife was in great pain from the cancer that was ravaging her body, he needed $25,000 for a surgery that would relieve her pain and prolong her life. The only way to get the money was to sell his beloved land, a small ranch he had worked all his life to acquire, the dream of his life where his horses and goats lived. Yet there was no choice. The love of his wife far surpassed the love of his ranch or his animals. She may have been against it, but without hesitation he knew he was willing to sacrifice anything for her comfort.

Waking up to get dressed and heading for the bank to finalize the sell, the doorbell rang. Standing at the door was an official looking man in a business suit. The man asked Choc who owned the little strip of land out by the highway. Choc laughed because although he owned it, the small parcel of land was worthless due to being too close too the highway and filled with caliche. The man then offered him $25,000 for it. The Glen Rose power plant needed it to extend their system.

In shock and humility, Choc accepted the offer and was able to pay for his wife's surgery. Choc and his wife are gone now, and walking with the Lord in Paradise, but the story lives on--a story of sacrifice and providence, a story that demonstrates the depth of love a man had for his wife and the love of the great Shepherd as He protects His flock.

I am changing I think and losing some of my earlier materialism. Big houses and lots of stuff no longer impress me. I find myself needing to minimize my life a little. This could be due to the amazing power of the computer and instant communication with the world. Or it could be that with a computer, music, books, friends, transportation, and coffee I am happy. I don't need a large TV, fancy chairs, expensive pens, or all the stuff that fills our lives. Just some basic needs these days (okay, that seems silly since I do like my truck, my nice clothes, hat, computer, etc.). The visit to the Biltmore mansion had the opposite effect on me I believe than most people experience. Other than the book collection which represents knowledge, nothing really meant much to me. Just a big house with lots of old stuff. Sorry to be so earthy, but it just felt excessive to me.

Relationships and knowledge reign supreme over the acquisition of stuff or the accumulation of wealth. My joy is not dependent on the objects around me but rather is found in the Lord, my family, my friends, and the peace within.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog today! Please keep writing. I can almost hear your voice as I read! Thanks for every thing!

Sam Hale

Jacob said...

I didn't know Choc passed away. Great man, great story. I still have this funny gift he gave me for high school graduation - a spur keychain, his business card, and a 2 dollar bill in a yellow case. Out of all the gifts I got I remember that one, how obscure.

joy renée said...

Dr. Tucker, that story is so touching. Thanks for sharing.

Landry and I have also gone through many lessons and changes regarding "stuff" and materialism. I've never been overly materialistic, since I grew up well below the poverty line. And somehow it has always felt wrong to me to indulge in items that aren't important to my survival or to the meeting of my basic needs (plus some). On the other side of that, I have learned that enjoying the all the benefits of this century is okay!

One word stuck out to me: excessive. I've been thinking on that word a lot lately in regards to materialism. If God were ever to bless me with more than I could ever need, extravagance would be far from me.

Good post. Glad I remembered you even have a blog. :)