Saturday, December 19, 2015

Decline of the Book

Many have written on the decline of the physical book, most lamenting the loss while extolling the virtues of the physical book on the shelf or in the hand. Others take a more practical view with a little prophecy mixed in that the digital book is replacing the physical book for many reasons not the least of which is convenience and storage. Books are now seen as archaic objects, quaint in the way that antiques are perceived, odd little things of no value containing information that can be found within a click or two on the net. Of course there remains the charming but old-fashioned readers sitting under a tree or in a corner enjoying a physical book and they are seen as different, refusing to embrace the modern world, preferring to live their lives as Luddites rejecting technology, deeply suspicious of the digital world.

Having spent a lifetime reading and collecting books, it was a sudden change on many levels when I bought a Kindle and began to read digital books. No longer obsessed with every bookstore I see, I calmly walk or drive past a Half Price Book store without my palms sweating or my pulse increasing for a chance to see and hold books. The thousand books in my personal collection are losing their grip on my emotions, and I am able to go days without studying them and reorganizing them. I no longer feel a need to "complete" a collection or purchase a particular author's book to add to the others. A signed book by the author has no meaning to me and the words "first edition" are just words. Gone is the feeling of walking into a library and wanting to read every volume or peruse the latest acquisitions. Once believing that the knowledge of the world is found in books, I now believe the knowledge of the world is found on the internet--for the most part! I have lost my emotion for physical books--I think.

But in truth I am simply not reading as much as I once did. Still keeping three books going at one time, it takes me longer to finish a book. Audio books are fun and I listen to one almost every morning during my run of 2-3 miles. Currently enjoying the David McCullough biography of Wilbur and Orville Wright, I cannot decide if listening to a book constitutes reading. Perusing articles and staying current with the news are forms of reading I suppose and I look through a dozen or so articles everyday. A James Lee Burke novel continues to fascinate me with his beautiful descriptive writing style and his pervasive darkness and grim study of humanity approach to life. But what used to take a few days to finish, now takes a few weeks in some cases. I am not reading to completion very often anymore. I have been working on a history of the Brownsville incident for several months now.

At one time I raged against digital books but now embrace them. Yet somewhere deep inside, I believe we are losing something dear and special in our world--the physical book. Does our gravitation to the digital world wreak havoc on our emotions in some way that is not definable? As we forsake holding a book in our hands and embrace a digital world, are we in some way contributing to the constant distractions and bytes of information that threaten to rule the day? Having written often about the benefits of today over yesterday, I have to wonder if this is entirely true when it comes to books. Have we inadvertently caused our own inability to focus on one thing? I check my phone often for emails and texts, and I run through web pages the same way I eat chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant.

Yes I will continue to read digital books and my wallet and time schedule are much happier without the book obsession. But I miss the old days, the book nerd days, the bibliophile days, the collector days, and books in the hand days. I doubt I will return to an earlier time and I strangely look forward to the day my home office no longer contains a thousand books, but I also recognize that I and society are losing something special. Libraries are becoming social hangouts with coffee bars and bookstores are filled with activity. The aging spinster fussing at people for being loud is gone and card catalogs belong in tool sheds with nails and screws. Perhaps there exists room for the hybrid reader, one who enjoys a physical book as well as a digital one. Maybe unification includes room for both approaches and perhaps our cultural goal is to bring all styles of books to the world. We have enough polarizing events and objects in our world and books should not necessarily be one of those. It may be time for us to respect all forms of reading and reacquaint ourselves with what reading means in its totality. Regardless of how one reads, it is valuable to read something in some way.

My loss of the love of physical books is replaced by a love of our digital world. The gain is greater than the loss but occasionally I must commiserate as I reflect on a life of book collecting that is no more.


No comments: