Sunday, July 10, 2011

A little righteous irritation

Getting up early Saturday morning, going for a fairly short run, and deciding to take care of a few things, I jumped in the truck and headed for town. But my jaunt ended up irritating me with several of my pet peeves about the modern world. Stopping at McDonalds, and I must apologize to my brother who is a big McDonald's fan due to the quick but consistently cheap and flavorful food, I ordered a yogurt parfait and a sausage biscuit and a small orange juice. It was a small order and I paid cash for the food, receiving a little change in the change tray, and was handed the blasted receipt. I didn't want the receipt. I hate receipts. Just a stupid piece of paper that ends up crumpled in the trash. Granted it had my order number on it which the cashier had stated, but I memorized that number quickly and had not need for the receipt. I suppose that were I on a business trip, I might need it for tax purposes or record keeping, but a quick glance around revealed that everyone in the restaurant threw the stupid waste of time receipt in the trash.

I know the cashiers are taught to give receipts to everyone and often we see a sign that says something to the effect of "If we fail to issue you a receipt, your meal will be free," but to me this is a huge waste of paper and time and energy. I really would like the choice to ask that I not be given a receipt. In fact, the next time I order something I am going to state, "No receipt" just to see what happens.

But I got over that moment of irritation and sat down to eat my food. The orange juice was very good which surprised me considering how lame was the sausage biscuit. It tasted and felt like some sort of rubberized piece of vinyl sandwiched by thin plastic flakes disguised as bread. The yogurt had some good fruit in it but lacked the zing of good yogurt and seemed mostly like instant milk developed from powder. I must admit to being a little bit of a food snob these days and prefer organic tasting food not overly preserved. Still, I am the one who chose to stop there and eat the inexpensive, though rather generic food. My choice for sure, and I will probably do so again, and I will probably keep complaining about it!

My last errand of the morning took me to the drug store for some necessary items. I didn't get much but as I was checking out, the inevitable question arose, "Do you have your plus card?" I quickly and a little emphatically said no. The friendly cashier said, "Would you like one, it is free?" I again said no. I finished paying and left. But I am sick and tired of the stupid card thing. Some stores give you a "discount" for the products by presenting your card. Other stores allow for the "earning of points" which supposedly will give you free stuff later. Other places simply issue a set of coupons for other items in the store. But the truth is that the card is a tracking device. It monitors and records your purchases in order to provide the kind of products customers are seeking as well as to find a way to get you back in the store using appropriate coupons to your needs. Now all that sounds innocuous until you realize they are actually spying on you. It erodes your freedom and categorizes you in a funny sort of way. You become a thing, a consumer, a spender of money and they are going to use this great card to help you spend more money.

Okay, enough ranting. My irritations are not unusual and I have contributed to them by frequenting those establishments. But I also have a right to complain about it and a right to find other places to spend my money.

1 comment:

Petros said...

I always say that I don't need a receipt and usually the cashier just crumples it up and throws it away. I think the machine spits it out no matter what. So it's a waste either way.

There is a solution for your card dilemma:

http://lifehacker.com/5819065/get-grocery-store-discounts-without-providing-personal-information-by-using-jennys-number