Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Church, good grief

It was with interest I read about the ousting of famed pastor Robert Schuller from the board. Having created a religious empire of sorts in California with a theology of trusting in the Lord, finding the good in all people, and demonstrating self-worth through positive thinking and lots of smiles, Schuller and his son are no longer a part of their original church. Schuller's daughters made some dramatic changes to the church, resulting in a drop in attendance, a decline in giving, and creditors calling for payback. Dependent on giving by members, if the people are not happy, the giving disappears. This is always true.

What went wrong? Was it a unique problem to that church? Or is it simply another manifestation of the two major issues facing the church today? I can sum up most problems with two words--style and inclusion (my analytical son will likely point out that I used three words!). According to the news article, Daddy Schuller practiced a form of worship in the old traditional model of hymns with an organ but daughters Schuller wanted something more contemporary and current. Daddy Schuller accepted all people in the church regardless of their sinful practices. Daughters Schuller wanted to exclude homosexuals based on Biblical principles. Style and Inclusion.

And the church divided on these issues, resulting in irreconcilable differences. Who was right? Which camp was the correct one? Maybe both are right and both are wrong. Or maybe there is no right or wrong, maybe just opinions and preferences. Maybe it essential to establish our personal standards, dig in our heels, and never sway from our perceived self-excellence. Or maybe we should have no standards of excellence and accept everything and anything in church? On the spectrum of total tolerance versus rigid behavioral expectations, what is the Christian approach? Or as Francis Schaeffer asks, "How should we then live?"

I adopt a personal standard that is based on my upbringing, my worldview, my own spiritual journey, and application of the Word. Yet I also seek truth and wisdom from many other sources, drawing from an eclectic mix of nationalities, religions, and practices. I contend that in some form or another, all of us do this very thing. We are products of our DNA and our environment, and our life experiences shape us and alter us over time. That said, while I do not subscribe to nor embrace homosexuality, I conversely do not disdane those who do. Other than believing it is not the preferred sexual approach and being aware of the Scriptural principal against homosexuality, at the same time I will never disallow nor condemn a practicing homosexual's right to live and worship in the way he or she sees fit. I am against it in philosophy and practice for myself, but also respect the rights of people to be who they wish to be as long as my own rights are not violated. Furthermore I posture that the church is the place for everyone and to exclude those not like ourselves is to create a small-minded, narrow theatrical facade with no more purpose than to be a kind of prison of like people. I am not interested in that church.

Regarding worship styles, I believe I am consistent in my views. Preferring an organ led hymn-based service, I have learned to enjoy and yes worship to other kinds of music. I am glad that people enjoy other kinds of music and remain convinced that it is our right to like what we like and to worship the way we want to worship. As a musician, I do tend to be rather opinionated about music and have great respect for those hymns with quality text and interesting music. And I do believe that the finest hymns are superior to the finest contemporary choruses, at least in terms of musical complexity and theological depth. But the poor hymns, and I recognize this is a subjective statement, are of little value, causing a higher regard for most modern choruses. In the end, regardless of one's opinion or preference, it belies a loving, tolerant practice to end a church over preference and over the inability to find common ground in worship styles.

It pains me to hear of a major church split or the closing of a church over these two issues, both of which are minor in the broad perspective of worshiping God. Church may indeed be frustrating and we will never agree on everything, but we can learn to tolerate our differences and turn the grief into good. It is worth holding onto the institution of the church. Each Sunday you may stand beside a homosexual or a radical contemporary or someone not like yourself, but I urge you to stay standing and remain firm to yourself while accepting others.

No comments: