Saturday, January 30, 2010

Booking again

At a music conference for music administrators but finally getting some time to get away, I headed to a large bookstore to scout for some good deals, and it was certainly productive. This particular shop is extensive with a very nice collectible section in the back. After walking through the front door, I did my usual pause and took a moment for a quick study. I enjoy the smell, the energy, the general ambiance of a book store and am particularly interested in the focus. As I have mentioned before, most stores tend to emphasize certain genres of book. This store has a large collectible section but also an extensive non-fiction section.

On the way back to the collectibles, I glanced over and saw several McMurtry books on the shelf. Since I already own a very fine collection of First edition McMurtry books, I was not necessarily curious about the ones I saw. Yet, I paused just in case, recalling the time last year when I found a 2nd printing Horseman, Pass By worth around $150. It was priced at $5.98! So I decided a quick look was certainly appropriate.

Owning 2 copies of Lonesome Dove, I generally have no need to see what editions are on the shelf. Lonesome Dove is probably McMurtry's most famous book due to the movie and subsequent series on television. Also the Pulitzer prize has helped it along! It is a great read and certainly recommended. In some ways, the ultimate Western journey book. Anyway, I pulled out a 17th printing Lonesome Dove and quickly placed it back. Fine book but not collectible and not valued at any more than about $10.00. Beside it stood another copy. A little curious, I pulled it out of the shelf and to my shock realized I was holding a 1st edition, 1st printing before the Pulitzer emblem was placed on the jacket! I checked the point (there is a misspelled word on 621), looked at the condition, and realized I was holding a treasure. Aside from someone's name in pen on the inside board, it was a clean copy in fine condition. All for $9.98!

I grabbed it, did some more scouting, and ended up with a nice little collection including a signed McGarrity, a signed Koontz, a nice Updike, and a signed Morrell. It was all exciting stuff for a book scout and a very productive evening. I am around the corner from starting my own online bookstore called www.rareandnew.com.

No comments: