Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sowing Seeds

"Oh, the Lord's been good to me.
And so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need:
The sun, the rain and the appleseed;
Oh, the Lord's been good to me."

I can still hear my Dad's voice as he played his guitar and sang to me. He would always tell the story of Johnny Appleseed and follow up with this little song. As a child, I heard this song on one level--a funny little man who went around the country planting appleseeds and resulting in lots of apple trees everywhere. My love for apples began at a young age and continues to today.

Similarly, although he passed away 7 years ago, my love for my Dad began at a young age and continues to today. His songs, his love for life, his eclectic, oft inconsistent philosophies, and his unpredictable but charming behavior not only left its mark on his wife and two children but also on thousands of students of all ages from elementary to adults. He did not leave apple seeds on the world, instead he sowed hope and love.

Some people leave bitterness, fear, suspicion, and anger with them wherever they go. Others leave joy, optimism, love, compassion, and hope. I propose that we are all Johnny Appleseeds leaving something of ourselves in the world. What do you sow and what do grow? As the journey of life continues, let us all sing a song of appleseeds and appletrees and let us all leave the world better than it was when we started.

We should give back and share what we have been given. Reach out to those in need and love the good in the world. Let us all be aesthetes as we work to make the world a better place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good point. While sewing is a productive activity, I think "sowing" would be better here. I hope that as I make flags for my color guard that by sewing, I am sowing as well. I hope my flag girls are seeing that I care enough about them to invest my time and skills in their lives. I hope they will feel valued and as a result sow in the lives of others.
MS