Saturday, November 25, 2017

Running, Jackfruit, Family

Arrived back from a trip to Arizona and started getting ready for Thanksgiving. The Arizona trip was uneventful but also fun and informative. I go every year to the National Association of Schools of Music convention to learn about developments, trends, and get ideas for growth and improvement. Always great to see friends, eat some good meals, and learn all the things that I should be doing. Anyway we returned on Tuesday and went shopping for Thanksgiving. Wednesday the family arrived and plans were made.

Bought a Jackfruit. This large green fruit with small spike-like bumps all over the outside originates from tropical India and can weigh over 50 lbs. We brought it home and stared at it for several hours before diving in. With everyone involved, we tore into the strange item. Took awhile in spite of having sharp knives, but eventually we had it open and began the process of ridding the yellowish fruit from the non-fruit. While doing so we separated the seeds from the fruit and ended up with a bowl of 150 seeds and a large bowl of fruit. The seeds we then boiled, roasted, and peeled. In spite of extra salt and further warming, the seeds were not good and we rejected them as having edible value.

The Jackfruit, however, we liked and ate it with the Thanksgiving meal. Not unlike pork with the sweetness of an apple, the Jackfruit is delicious. The texture is a little odd and not appealing to everyone and the flavor is mild but pleasant. Later we all agreed, and I apologize for the indelicacy, that the Jackfruit is a natural fiber and good for internal cleansing.

Ran the Turkey Trot once again. This is my third year and I did better than usual. About 1200 of us gathered along the street. We prayed, we sang the National Anthem, and then took off on the run. The 5K is about 3.2 miles and I ran the whole time. No word on the results but I suspect I beat my normal time and ended up probably in the top 400 maybe. I know, doesn't sound impressive, but considering my generally sedentary life-style and lack of athleticism, I am just glad to get through it. I run 3 miles about 4 or 5 times per week with an additional couple of miles on Saturdays. Mostly run to stay in a modicum of shape and keep the heart healthy. Running the Turkey Trot is a blast! Tall, short, large, small, old, and young, we all run at different paces. I passed several people and was passed by many. I dodged strollers, dogs, slow runners, and even ran on the grass a couple of times. Lots of youth around me, I believe I was one of the oldest runners at the race.

Came back and helped out with the dinner, we had a great time as a family. Everybody got along (kind of amazing!) and the meal was its usual variety and joy. Little bit of football watching, naps, more pie and the joy of family time was special for all.

No profound words today, just normal life.

No comments: