Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Christmas Parade and Scrooge

The Christmas Parade was impressive this year. Lights, trucks, cars, horses, buggies, carts, bands, floats, and thousands of people. Cheers for everything that went by were heard up and down the streets. Lots of waving, smiles, and Christmas joy surrounded the event. Various vendors were selling lighted up toys and necklaces. Hot chocolate was served along with different foods located in front of stores and at intersections. People were hugging each other and experiencing the shared love of the parade. The parade was long and much of it seemed an opportunity to advertise a church or a place of business. Several construction companies with long banners and signs drove by in huge trucks, all replete with lights, ribbons, bows, and happy people. The bands were playing Christmas songs in various ways. Large bands and small bands marched by bringing the sounds of the season with them. Could anything be happier than a well-supported community parade?

It was probably the most attended event of the year and somehow the parade crosses all boundaries, allowing people of all types and backgrounds to enjoy the event. Children, teens, older adults, wealthy, poor, all races, and relationships of all types filled the streets. What a tremendous opportunity to set aside differences and embrace the totality of love and joy through Christmas and a glorious tribute to community.

So what is my problem? I just really don't enjoy it all that much. I am glad people attend and seeing thousands lining the streets meant something special to me. I like the participation and how the city comes together for the event. But my personal satisfaction is fairly low. I was a little cold, didn't bring a chair, was hungry, and generally not attuned to the excitement around me. Just felt generally crabby and would have rather be home. Yet I like to think of myself as a good husband and father and deep down it really is not about me, so we went and clapped and waved with everyone else.

It is not really that I am a Scrooge. After all I do recognize the joys of the season and how families, friends, and people come together to share in the love of Christmas. But I also find it stressful and exhausting. I am weary of the same old songs, the excessive lights, the noise, the shopping, the decorating, the bows, red, green, stuff everywhere. Tape, ribbons, boxes, etc. Just too much. Also I think Christmas makes me a little sad for those who have so little and those who have lost loved ones or whose health is failing or who struggle to pay bills or who don't feel loved, whose stresses are greater than the joy or whose lives are filled with pain. I suppose, however, that is part of the time of year...to reflect on the blessings and find ways to help other people. In that respect, Christmas does serve its purpose. To share love.


No comments: