Saturday, July 02, 2016

$100

Recently investing in a particular stock, I have been watching the market carefully in order to avoid any losses. Using a system of careful analysis followed by assessment of the current market and personal finances, I usually protect my losses with controlled stops along the way. This is a common method among finance managers but perhaps uncommon from those in the arts. My recent purchase, however, remained flat without much gain or loss for several days.

Driving through New Mexico, I glanced over to the side of the highway and saw an elderly man walking slowly wearing a sweatshirt and ill-fitting jeans. Not sure if he were homeless or hitchhiking, I continued toward my goal with barely a second thought about him. We didn't have room in my truck for another passenger and besides picking up a stranger in a an unfamiliar territory does not seem wise. Saying a quick prayer for him and others like him, I continued my journey.

Aside from a hidden stash, I rarely carry much cash with me, preferring, instead, to use my credit card at most junctures. In general my hidden stash is reserved for emergencies or unusual circumstances. Occasionally I have $20 or less with me and I have been known to help out those in need depending on the circumstances.

So like any 55 year old, as I begin to think about retirement in 15 years, I watch the market, watch my retirement accounts, and plan for the day when I no longer have steady employment. It would be nice to have a windfall of cash someday but my plan is to invest wisely and avoid spending unnecessarily. The stock market, however, has been fairly volatile with some large spikes followed by downward trends. My own investments remain flat in general with some growth occasionally. Focusing on dividend stocks, I also take a risk here and there, watching them fairly closely for change.

Raising an autistic son who now lives with us as an adult, I remain sensitive to the thousands who deal with mental disabilities in our country. They often need special help and sometimes have no family on which to rely for help. Yes there are homeless who choose to be homeless and I have little doubt that many of them are struggling with drugs and/or alcohol. But rather than live in a constant judgmental world, I, instead, elect to ere on the side of compassion, generosity, and personal humility, after all nobody is without flaw.

Two days after seeing the man on the highway, I went into a coffee shop in New Mexico to enjoy a few minutes with my daughter-in-law before heading home from our vacation. As I sat there thinking about my family, my investments, my life, the same man walked into the shop. He was wearing the same clothes and looked very tired as though he had been up most of the night. He asked for a cup of coffee and the owner gave him one without requesting payment.

Time for us to leave the coffee shop but I kept thinking about the man. Odd coincidence to see him in the shop two days after seeing him on the highway. Easiest to leave and not give it a second thought, not my problem and certainly not my responsibility. I stood up to go and found myself walking toward him as I reached in my wallet and remembered I had no cash readily available. So I found the hidden stash which includes all $100 bills and handed one $100 bill to him. Encouraging him to use it wisely and adding God's blessings to his life, I left with my daughter-in-law, drove to the cabin, packed up and headed home.

Kicking myself for giving away that much money, I decided I had exceeded the normal generosity quotient and didn't even receive a tax credit. Even worse maybe he would drink it away or be so out of it that it had no meaning. Yet in my heart, I knew I had done what I had to do. It would have been wrong to ignore the burning desire I had to give him the money. Finally calming down and telling nobody about it, I again remembered about my recent stock purchase. A quick look at my stocks on my phone revealed a surprise. My recently purchased stock had grown by over $1300 in a short time! Quickly calling in a stop loss, I protected my gain and wryly thought about the $100 I had given to the man. I would not miss it and actually had benefited much more. My loss was both my gain and his. In the end, blessings often come our way in many ways. Money aside, I was blessed by the opportunity to do what I deemed as right.


No comments: