Sunday, May 29, 2016

Songs in my Head

I always have a song in my head. Serious or silly, profound or trite, I draw from many years of performing, listening, and being a musician. Growing up with singing parents, my brother and I were thoroughly immersed in music of all types, shapes, genres, and purpose. I am comfortable in a wide variety of genres and styles including pop, rock, country, gospel, folk, art music from all over the world, children's music, sacred and contemporary, and the list continues.

A song can fit any kind of mood, creative thought, intellectual moment, wisdom, or fit an emotional need. I do not really have a favorite song although I find myself thinking about and humming Liebestod by Richard Wagner more often than most songs. It is not really a song (definition: vocal selection generally based on a short poem or text, usually accompanied by piano or small instrumental ensemble) in that it uses a very large orchestra and is extensive. But it is no longer than Stairway to Heaven or Hey Jude--both great songs and I have heard Hey Jude accompanied by an orchestra. Every song by Britten or Barber is a winner. Being a product of the 70s and early 80s, I still like Come Sail Away, Just You and Me, and Carry on My Wayward Son.

My love of the music of Brahms means I often hear a Brahms melody in my head...not really a song I guess. But I also enjoy Rosanna by Toto, A Very Special Love Song by Charlie Rich, Always by Bon Jovi, Let It Go from Frozen, and the list goes on and on. I sincerely love You are My Sunshine, Streets of Laredo, the Davy Crockett song, theme from the first Bob Newhart show, and the theme from Room 222. Music by Mahler is terrific and who can't help but enjoy the tone poems of Richard Strauss. I still love the music of Rachmaninoff and Sibelius and am continually moved by the music of Machaut and Messiaen.

Love hymns and could sing My Jesus, I Love Thee everyday. But I also really like Crown Him (Majesty) by Chris Tomlin and Oceans by Hillsong, Who Am I by Casting Crowns, and Lord, I Need You by Chrs Tomlin. Holy, Holy, Holy is a marvelous hymn and It is Well with My Soul continues to reach people. Every song by Ken Medema is a winner and the rich harmony of music by Ralph Carmichael continues to fascinate me.

Broadway: too many to list. Songs from West Side Story, Sound of Music, Kiss Me Kate, Les Miserables, Phantom, Jekyll and Hyde, Wicked, and about 30 other musicals! Best Broadway tune...maybe So in Love by Cole Porter or Night and Day. Maybe Somethings Coming or Ten Minutes ago from Cinderella. Speaking of Cinderella, how about In My Own Little Corner...great song. One of my favorites is I Could Have Danced All Night from My Fair Lady. Also who can forget Ol' Man River from Showboat...wow. Of course, I think In Summer from Frozen is hilarious and Cruella Deville from 101 Dalmations is a vibrant jazz tune. Windmills of Your Mind and I Will Wait for You are great songs as is Someone Saved My Life Tonight.

Okay...a brief listing of some of my favorites. But my favorite tends to be whatever I am listening to or studying. I think I lean toward music with a singable melody, harmonic interest, rhythmic punch, piano background, and clever text.

No comments: