Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Zip Line Euphoria

Fishing with no luck and adding to my sunburn, I decided to experience the zip line that hung over the lake like a delicious chocolate bar dangling in front of me waiting for me to grab it. Expense aside, and it was on the pricey side, I enjoy the euphoria that accompanies zip lines. The illusion of control of the world as nature is conquered is both frightening and liberating as you speed down a cable to the landing point and glance at the world below. While you feel in charge and powerful, reigning over the land, in truth you are completely at the mercy of the harness and the cable, resulting in total powerlessness. Maybe it is the Yertle the Turtle syndrome where you want to be higher than everybody else but in the end you could end up in the mud!

Perhaps it is the sensation-seeking side of wanting thrills or maybe my enjoyment, almost obsession, with being outdoors and feeling the wind on my face. Whatever the reason, I love riding zip lines and plan to do more. This particular zip line went over a large lake and had no braking system on it at all. Coming in quite fast, I had the momentary fear that the large spring at the end would not be able to stop my ride. But it did with a strong jolt and suddenly my moment of speeding along a cable over a lake was over. It was great fun and I am ready to go again!

Imagine a world where we could zip from place to place without cars, where we walk from station to station, zip across town or even from town to town or across the country at high speeds. Rather than being enclosed in a plane, train, or automobile, we all benefit from the air, from nature, from being active and outdoors. Onward to more zip lines, more fun, and more euphoria!







No comments: