Saturday, June 06, 2015

Bach, Financials, and Running

Back in the running mode, I try to hit about 20 miles per week with Saturdays being the long run day. The recent weight gain has impacted my distance and speed, and I often find myself walking in the middle of the run. Yet, risking imperiousness, I will admit to having a resting heart rate of about 60 which is supposedly good for a 54 year old man. Running continues to be euphoric and it is hard to describe the glorious feeling of the wind on my face as I pound the pavement and breathe quickly. The sounds I hear, besides my own exertion, are generally pleasant and include birds, dogs, cars, sometimes children playing, and the wind as it blows through the trees. Sound continues to be meaningful to me and I often wish I had the power to hear the ants walk, the spiders spin their webs, the birds fly, and the clouds move. Waxing poetically, however, about the world is not my intention on this fine morning. Rather I wish to address what kind of music matches what kind of book.

When running, I often listen to audio books. I generally listen to fiction followed by non-fiction with most books lasting approximately 12 hours which gives me around 2-3 weeks per book, considering a few days here and there to listen to the sounds of world instead. Adventure fiction is great for running whereas non-fiction with facts is less propelling but more interesting than fiction. After finishing "The Girl on the Train" which I found to be a dull story in spite of its popularity, I downloaded "Financial Literacy: Finding Your Way in the Financial Markets." It is an informative read (or rather listen) and I am enjoying it. What is perplexing to me however is the opening music for the book was a Brandenburg Concerto by Johann Sebastian Bach. Not that it was not thoroughly enjoyable and "hit the spot" as I started my long Saturday run. The counterpoint, textures, joyous harmony, complexity, and aesthetic satisfaction of the music was the perfect choice for me this fine morning as I ran and learned about the financial markets.

But why Bach? In what ways does the music of Bach set up or foreshadow or represent a book on finance? Is it that people who read or in my case listen to this book are generally older, more educated, sophisticated people, or maybe old fuddy duddies? That sounds as absurd as is assuming Bach is for older academics only. Is it that the complexity of Bach including his brilliant use of contrapuntal devices to add form, tension, and structure to his music match that of a book designed to explain the complexity of the financial markets? Maybe the music was picked randomly and anything would have been fine...say a Mahler symphony or something by Philip Glass. Or perhaps the opening music could have been disco or reggae or a rap on finance? Maybe this was just a legal decision, after all Bach's music is in public domain and does not require permission or ownership to perform.

Perhaps the music should have been hard rock or Jurassic Park or maybe some opera or Johnny Cash? Is the use of Bach a sign of the revitalization of "classical music" in our culture? Or maybe its rarity in popular culture sets it apart as unique and special, signifying the special qualities of the book? Frankly, I am not sure why Bach was selected as the music to begin the audio book on finance, but I did enjoy it.




No comments: