Friday, August 31, 2012

Courtesy and the Hummingbird

Walking into the garage, I heard a frustrated, frenetic fluttering followed by a bump. Hearing it again, I looked around and saw a hummingbird frantically trying to fly outside but repeatedly getting stopped by a window. Not so bright and becoming duller by the second, the poor little bird did not understand what was wrong. I slowly lifted the window hoping to coax the little creature outside, but, alas, he simply kept bumping and fluttering without recognizing the open window below him. With only slight hesitation, I gently reached out my hands, and cradled the little thing in my hand. He quickly stopped his natural buzzing, probably wondering what was about to happen. I lowered him to the open window, opened my hand and encouraged him to fly. He did not wait long and took off into the world, free again.

Hummingbirds are fascinating birds having the ability to flap their wings up to 80 times per second for certain species. They are quite small and can fly backwards without hesitation. Their incredibly fast metabolism forces them to seek nectar and insects every few hours to avoid starving to death. With a heart rate of over 1000 beats per minute they move quickly and visit hundreds of flowers every day. They are a gentle animal but also firmly committed to their own survival, demanding rights over their established territory. The sound of several hummingbirds hovering around a feeder is one of the most musical experiences in nature. As the wings increase their speed so also will the pitch rise resulting in a harmonious symphony of energy and joy.

And so it was with great respect and amusement that I helped the little hummingbird survive. Just doing my part to give a little simple courtesy. Speaking of courtesy, why do many drivers lose all sense of thoughtfulness when behind the wheel of a vehicle? In the mornings as the sun is creeping up in the East, I am running 4-5 miles and listening to Moby Dick. Living in the country, we have very little traffic and I enjoy feeling the cool breeze caress my nose and cheeks while trying not to think about my aching legs and fast breathing. Running is both painful and exhilarating, joyful and terrible, fun and difficult. I am not quite a member of the club yet (I suspect you have to do a marathon to be a member), but I can hold my own in a running conversation now. And the experiences are often unpredictable--jumping over a snake, stopping cold to avoid a skunk, smiling at an armadillo, brushing grasshoppers off my legs, wondering about the dead bobcat, and snarling at the rubbish on the side of the road. All these and more add to the joys of running.

But I do not appreciate the cars that drive by without the slightest care of my safety. Many of them seem to speed up almost as though I am infringing on their racetrack. Admittedly, the road was built for vehicles not for runners and I guess if the driver slowed down perhaps he would arrive at his destination 10 seconds later than intended, but all it requires is a little common courtesy. It is disconcerting to see a car coming toward me at a high speed, knowing that a direct hit will put a stop to my running for quite awhile! I usually wave my arms and plan my dive into the weeds while hoping he will move over slightly and slow down. I am asking for a little courtesy and sensitivity to my exercise. Not too much to ask I don't think.

Seems to me that if I take a moment to offer some help and courtesy to a hummingbird, then a driver could offer similar behavior to the runners on the road. Yes, yes I know the events are unrelated, but nevertheless, it is fun to make the comparison for now.

Concluding this brief essay today, I must point out my love and respect for Gershwin's masterful song Bess, You Is My Woman Now. It is one of the greatest songs ever written with a depth of expression and complexity of construction rarely found in the pop world. You can hear the love in the music and can almost sense the anguish of fear of the future. Terrific music.


No comments: