Sunday, April 22, 2012

LP LVIII--Home to Texas

The long flight back to Texas was uneventful unless one considers the challenges of cramped conditions, crying babies, and confining commodes eventful. Disembarking in Dallas, I stood in a long queue (oops, sorry, I mean line) for customs, another one to get my one suitcase, another for luggage customs and declaration, another to check luggage in again for the connecting flight, another to check-in for the flight, and finally an extensive queue (there I go again, nobody in Texas is going understand me for awhile!) for security. I then settled in to wait for the next flight to Abilene and began thinking about what I will miss and what I will not.

I will not miss the crowded conditions of London and the feeling of being closed in and constricted by tall buildings, numerous people, cars, motorcycles, buses, and businesses. The Texas sky cannot be beat and the wide-open spaces are much to my liking. Of course, this brings to mind me time in the highlands of Scotland with the rolling hills, trees, streams, and fresh air (time for some Scottish folksongs and reminiscing!) as I sought my Brigadoon and found it in strong family connections. Anyway, I do like the Texas sky and the feeling of space and rugged strength found in our Western world. Yet in spite of the overcrowded conditions of London, I will miss the constant walking, the bus trips, the tube, and the amazing coffee and pastry shops found on every block.

It is with mixed feelings that I return to a friendly environment where strangers smile, nod, and often say hello or have conversations in stores or the workplace, a world where eye contact with everyone is the norm and there is a desire for interpersonal relationship building. Yet, ironically, there is comfort in anonymity without any kind of pressure to meet anyone. There is confidence in solitary expectations, in knowing that anything accomplished is dependent on just you, that you respect the individuality of others and consequently your own individuality is also respected.  Over time in London you become less concerned with others and realize that your place in the world is your own and there is no vying for your position in society or culture. That said, I do like the friendliness of my Texas world but am also aware of the personal benefits of a less gregarious culture.

I will miss fish and chips although I must admit I got a little weary of the same flavor of fish and chips at every restaurant. A large piece of cod with fluffy batter and fat French fries. Good stuff but always the same. I am excited to have Mexican food, barbecue, smaller French fries called French fries and potato chips called chips rather than crisps. I will miss the freshness of the London food devoid of preservatives and trans fats, food that is tasty by virtue of its natural properties and food that enters the body and benefits it rather than alters it. But it is nice to buy food in Texas that will not go bad in two days time. Still, I will miss the amazing juice and bread of London, not to mention the wide variety of ethnic food found throughout London.

I will not miss the noise level of the streets with frequent sirens (the loudest, most obnoxious and screeching siren ever heard), honking horns, squeals of brakes and roar of motorcycles. It is pleasant to live in a quiet, country world with the sound of birds, wind blowing through the trees, and the occasional chirp of cicadas. Yet, admittedly the sound of the city is also the sound of progress, of development, of culture, of improvement and growth. While these sounds are annoying, they are also an emotional and physical steroid of a city on the move, depicting the collective spirit of individual achievement and commitment to success. So, yes, I like the quiet country world, but may occasionally miss the sounds of progress.

As I look at the goats, mesquites, oak trees, and grass, I start missing the architecture of London with arches, monuments, gothic detail, sculpture on buildings, and spires on every church. I then know I will miss the museums, the galleries, the orchestras, concerts, shows, plays, and the advertisements for the arts. Though I was weary of hearing church bells chiming all day and night, I will also miss hearing them, keeping us in touch with the constant passing of time. I will miss the green parks of peace with flowerbeds of all colors and tulips who smiling faces opened up in sunshine and closed when seeing the clouds.

I will not miss the confluency of cigarettes, the rubbish strewn in corners, the frequent drizzle, the gloom of dark clouds, and the cold frigid air that seems permeate the bones during the winter. I am happy to have the warmth and sunshine of my Texas world (of course, I will complain about that in July like everyone else!) and look forward to running early in the morning when all is cool and calm.

In the end, it is great to be home where my family resides, where my friends smile, and where my employer reigns. My experiences were vast, eclectic, comprehensive, and life-changing, but London is not me home. I do want to say to my family and friends, however, that if I get a far away look in my eye, and you begin to wonder what I am thinking, it is likely not London. While I love London and will return every change I get, the look in my eye is for my roots in the highlands of Scotland where the beautiful, rolling hills and gentle, cool streams call for courage, strength, hard work, and honesty. As the Crest of my Scottish family says, Glory is the Reward of Valor.





No comments: