Monday, April 16, 2012

LP LIII--Food, Glorious Food

Thinking about the orphan boys in the musical adaptation of Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, I realized I have not had gruel yet in London. The food has been quite an experience from the sausage roll on the streets to the elite dinner at an Italian restaurant over near the United States Embassy. Some friends of mine in London bought my dinner at the restaurant. Met by a sweet lady at the door, she took my coat and hat and gave me a ticket. From that moment, I knew I was about to eat a very nice dinner.

For the starter, I had a seafood salad of large prawns, fresh calamari, with bits of salmon, pasta, and lobster. With fresh bread always nearby, the waiter also frequently came to check on us, brushing away any crumbs that may have ended on the table. His commitment to our comfort and happiness was unequaled in my normal "lack of good service" London world. Soon the owner wheeled over a silver banquet cart and unveiled the choices for the evening. The Welsh leg of lamb was inviting and the sea bass almost winked at me, but I chose the veal with its steamy softness, light spices, and delicate meat.

Completely filled, soon the dessert tray came by and I found myself enjoying a type of apple delicacy with custard and cream. It was quite a treat, very different from my normal meal in London, and very much appreciated. Yet a normal meal of fish and chips (french fries to us) with garden or mushy peas always hits the spot. Or perhaps bangers (sausage to us) and mashed potatoes might just be the one. For breakfast it is fun to enjoy bacon (ham to us), scrambled eggs (free range, very healthy), some mushrooms, and a grilled tomato with toast on the side. Today at the French restaurant the lady asked me three times if I wanted "tossed" with my meal. My quizzical look made her rephrase her question and she said "cooked bread!" I realize she was trying to say toast but I misunderstood.

A typical lunch might be a bowl of soup with bread or on Sundays, a traditional carvery of roast beef or Welsh lamb with potatoes. Often a stop at the coffee shop will result a cup of coffee called an Americano and some orange juice...okay and sometimes a pastry called a chocolate paine or chocolate twist. All bread is great and I often have to resist the temptation to eat bread all day. There is no lack of restaurants or cafes in London. Walk a few steps and it is easy to find coffee, tea, pastries, sandwiches or soup. Many of these places are small with just a few tables and a toilet in the basement. In contrast to the sheer size of London and the massive buildings, most of the shops and restaurants are small and somewhat intimate. This may be due to older buildings designed for small rooms.

The cost of a meal is between 8 and 12 BP which is probably about right for an American meal, except that the dollar is about $1.61 per pound. This makes for expensive eating at every meal in London. All meals are fresh without transfats and meat is never overcooked. At first this made me nervous in light of our tendency to overcook all meat, but I have learned to accept it and enjoy it. So no gruel for me on this trip, but I have had lots of great food. I will miss it of course, but I am looking forward to a real enchilada!

1 comment:

Dr. Jay Smith said...

Gruel = oatmeal dude. Cheers to Bangers and Mash! Try the blood sausage while you are there!