Sunday, March 18, 2012

LP XXXV--Church, Song, and Symphony

Hillsong Church aside, the Anglican tradition permeates the world of churches in London. Nearly every church I see and every service I experience has been influenced by the Anglican tradition of great music, beautiful art, respect for authority, and systematic embracing of God's divine purpose. Of course each church is also different, emphasizing different things, worshiping in different ways, and working within its own structure, location, denomination, and philosophy.

I am especially enjoying the variety of song material I find in London churches. Again, taking Hillsong out of the discussion, most of the churches, depending on the particular church, are using music that covers a wide eclectic spectrum from traditional hymnody, chant, modern masses, to contemporary songs. Nearly as interesting, but not quite (okay, I'll admit that sometimes I find music generally more interesting than some sermons, but please don't tell my pastor friends!), are the kinds of sermons and the content heard at each church.

A pleasant 15 minute walk brought me to the American Church of London. Walking up the imposing steps, I was met by a friendly face who welcomed me to the church. Quipping that I searched for a Texas church but had to settle for an American one, I went inside for the service. The fairly small sanctuary for approximately 250-300 people had a small pipe organ, a nice grand piano, a choir loft, pews, stone walls and lightly stained glass that was typical for churches in the area. Less ornate, and even devoid of art, compared with Anglican churches, it was generic in the sense that virtually any denomination would be comfortable in worship. The architectural design (and never underestimate the power and influence of architecture for worship and style) was open, natural, and allowed for nice reverberation of sound with little need for amplification or artificiality. No screens, no praise band, just piano was used in the service.

The small choir of 11 robed singers standing around the piano, some trained others not, was very strong and began with an Introit (not a Call to Worship) that had a jazz, spiritual flavor composed by the choir director. The energetic beginning gave way to a prayer followed by the great hymn I Sing the Mighty Power of God. The small but well-designed pipe organ was not used in the service at all. Following the hymn and a missionary moment we sang Here I Am to Worship and Here I Am, Lord. Incidentally, I must say that I really cannot stand that song/hymn at all. I do not think the theology is strong and the child-like melody is inane and campfire like. Almost sounds like a 70s hippie tune. Loathe may be too strong a word for my feelings, but that is close.

The sermon on greed and the role of money was lofty, inspiring, and global with gentle reminders to seek out the Kingdom of Heaven through generosity. We ended the service without an invitation and sang In Christ Alone. Nobody showed any interest in me, which was just fine (I sound like Shrek I think), and I left for a nice lunch at Cafe Rouge of a salmon omelette and chips. On the way to lunch, I began thinking about the London Symphony Orchestra concert we attended on Thursday night.

The magnificent and virtually flawless performance was a thrill as was sitting in a beautiful auditorium hearing the famous orchestra. Amazingly mature in performance, the entire concert rang with joy and perfection of delivery. We heard Tod und Verklarung, Kindertotenlieder, and Brahms Symphony No. 2. All wonderfully artistic with the technical and expressive skill expected from some of the world's greatest musicians.

Blessed to hear them, I remain in awe over the constant and pervasive artistic culture of London. The experience was one I will treasure always and as I reminded my Music Appreciation class, hearing the LSO is much greater and certainly preferred over anything I might say in class. Lecturing is a good system of education, but experiencing directly the knowledge is superior.

No comments: