Sunday, March 04, 2012

LP XXVIII--Windsor Castle, Health, Hillsong

Ah the London air is frigid but exhilarating, almost begs for a quick pace whether walking or running, and seems to contain an urgency of cognition and improvement. Feeling unfair to the London world if I do not comply, I find myself engaged in the process of holistic learning and the attempt for good health. Aside from the propensity for smoking found in many of the locals, the people are in excellent health. The constant walking is part of this story but so is the illegality of trans-fats and preservatives in the food. As one who struggles with bad cholesterol and potential heart disease, I am glad to know of the reduction in the trans-fats in my diet. In addition, the food does not have the constant preservatives of much of our American food. This means that everything tastes fresh and natural but does not last as long in the refrigerator. Buy it and eat it within a few days or it will not be good. Several months in London will result in better health (unless one takes up smoking I suppose) due to walking and the lack of trans-fats. Can I keep this habit in American on my return? Probably not!



Running two miles through Russell Park this morning, I reflected on our previous day's visit to Windsor Castle. Never caring that much for castles, but at the same time wanting to be supportive of my wife's desire to see one, we jumped on a bus for the hour long ride to Windsor. We arrived at the front steps and were stunned by the castle in front of us. The large, almost concentric structure included...oh no, an elderly man just ran by me going much faster than I. Suddenly humbled, I increased my speed but could not come close to his pace. Where was I in my reverie? Oh yes, the castle.



In the middle of the castle stood a large circular structure surrounded by a moat with beautiful flowers, shrubs, and well manicured grass. Making our way around the structure and through the surrounding walls, we walked into the living quarters of Windsor Castle and were treated with grandeur and opulence unlike anything previously experienced. China place settings set the standard for all dishes everywhere, gold chalices, swords and knives on the walls, tapestries inlaid with gold, ornate beautiful furniture, and royal paintings to equal that of the National Gallery. Among the treasures were rooms of...yikes, another person, this time an older lady just ran by me. I was getting tired but Londoners were passing me by as though I were crawling. Looking around I realized that everyone was in better shape.

No matter how much I run or try to get in better condition, the truth is that a lifetime of fatty, over-preserved foods and little consistent walking has made me slow and weak. Sadly, this could be true of most of us I fear. Each day I run, I am humbled by the people around me. I suppose a little humility goes a long way, but enough is enough.

Back to the castle. I was entranced by the ornate rooms with painted ceilings, the crown moldings, and the gold trim around most items. Many Van Dyke portraits adorned the walls but were paled by the original Peter Paul Rubens art that shimmered with Classical motion and Baroque shadings and power. We saw a room with a doll house, another full of Queen Elizabeth photographs, and still another with gowns and uniforms. After seeing the rooms, we visited the stunning chapel within the walls of the castle where we saw a beautiful nave and transepts. The historical castle was worth every minute of our trip and we left enriched by the experience.


This morning we worshiped at Hillsong, located in the Dominion Theatre, home of the Queen show We Will Rock You. Filled with over 2,000 people the service was a hard rock, heart thumping, joyous time of honoring God through music and the spoken word. 3 guitars, 1 bass, 2 keyboards, a trap set, and 7 singers led the worship service that was enhanced by rotating lights, sub woofers, and an advanced sound system. We had a blast and then heard a topical sermon on walking with God by following His word. The sermon spent some time extolling the virtues of absolutes in conduct as established by Biblical law. He explored and denounced the problems of relativism as dictated by societal norms.

I found it all rather ironical considering that the music was a manifestation of the relativism that pervades our artistic world. Music, art, theatre all are sensitive to, benefit from, and respond directly to the relative changes in contemporary culture. Without that kind of progression, we have artistic stagnation. Does art in all its complexity gain from or suffer from the relativism of our world? More will need to be written on this wonderful and contentious topic. Meanwhile, off to hear the Budapest Symphony play Scheherazade.

No comments: