Saturday, August 06, 2011

Dry Ramblings

The dry weather seems to be affecting all of us lately. This area of Texas is as dry as I have ever experienced. The grass at our place is brown and the trees are struggling. We are on water restrictions now and the attitude is one of fear for the future. Without water, we cannot sustain the crops, the animals, or even our lives. It is an essential ingredient for living. Somehow I think too that the lack of water has zapped our energy. I find myself less productive in general due to the hot dry weather. Going outside feels like a wasteland and the beast of heat seems to be burden of depression working to infiltrate every pore, oppressing all in its path. It is just no fun at all.

Went to see Captain America the other day and was disappointed. Felt like a 4th grade comic book to me overall. I suppose it was well-done, energetic, lots of action, heroic, and intense, but also the emotional content was immature and shallow. Just another action film with too many computer graphics, flying things, kicking, shooting, getting the bad guys, etc. Kind of tired of the genre I guess.

I sure like the music of the Gettys. Keith and Krysten Getty continue to write and sing great songs of the faith. Their music is contemporary but retains the qualities of the great hymns. Melodic, textually driven, catchy, and creative, I like singing and leading their music. Speaking of music, I am bored with my playlist on my iPhone. Same old, same old. I am ready to listen to new things and seek out new sounds. Nothing is more boring to me than hearing and singing the same music over and over. Familiarity can breed respect and love but it can also breed contempt. Time to find something new.

This reminds me though of the great story, Bartholomew and the Oobleck. The King grows weary of the same kind of weather--rain, sunshine, snow, hail and urges his wisemen to invent something new. So they invent Oobleck, green globby things that eventually ruin the land and the people. Only when he apologizes does the Oobleck disappear. I hope my desire for new music does not end up like Oobleck. I suppose temperance for the new is always wise!

My running in the mornings is fairly consistent now but not quite what I seek. My goal is to run 5 miles a day, but I really struggle to make 4 every other day. Just not ready for the level of fitness 5 miles requires. But my heart rate is now below 60 and I generally feel energetic. Yet the darn feet hurt everyday also. It does take some kind of personal drive to run in the mornings. The easiest thing is to sit in my easy chair thinking of easy things. Running forces me to find something deeper inside me to come out. But it really is not all that fun. Is it really good for me?

No more overly processed, plastic tasting food. I almost cannot stand the idea of eating at a fast food restaurant these days. I think a diet of bread, water, leafy greens, fruits, fish, and other kind of organic foods is better. But finding good fish in this area is a toughie. We are pretty far from the ocean!

Kind of sad right now over Robert Parker. I think I have read every book he has written, or close to it. What a fine writer. On one level, his books are mystery/thrillers with plenty of action and violence. But on another level, his books are psychological and perceptive with a kind of social moralism not often found in action stories. Good stuff for sure.

No comments: