Monday, June 06, 2011

Horn Shopping

Went horn shopping today at Houghton Horns in Ft. Worth/Keller area. Took youngest son Jordan and student from Eastland Karley Simmons. They both ended up with nice horns after a day of trying various instruments and two happy horn players are now home practicing!

I enjoyed the day immensely, even got in a little bit of book shopping and completed my collection of Jeff Shaara books, and was treated to an opportunity to play several different horns. Each horn is slightly different in terms of shape, design, style, sound, tuning, and yes price. I love the warmth of the Alexander but am intrigued with the power of the Conn 3D. I can sense the sparkle of a Yamaha and revel in the precision of a Hoyer. All great horns for sure. But then the magic arrived.

The owner brought out a small Alexander horn that looked quite old and somehow different. He then held it out to me and said it was once owned by Dennis Brain. My eyes bugged out and my hands suddenly felt sweaty and awkward as I looked upon an instrument once touched by a master. Dennis Brain died in a tragic auto accident exactly 3 years before I was born. He was a marvel of horn playing with a beauty of phrasing, accuracy, charm, and technique rarely equaled even by today's standards. A lighter style of playing, Dennis Brain approached horn playing with ease and joy, as though the horn world were completely at his fingertips, commanding each note and each nuance with total confidence.

I informed the owner that I was not worthy to touch the instrument and he smiled and said that's what he said as well. Finally in abject humility I held the horn and began to play it. Nice instrument, very responsive and fun. Sort of playful in feel and instant joy. Like a happy, barking puppy ready to play! I loved the instrument and spent some time reflecting on the incredibly fantastic but short career of the master horn artist Dennis Brain. His Mozart Horn Concerto recording remains one of my favorite recordings of all time.

My own playing is a little weak right now, having not practiced enough lately. But I can hold my own when in shape. I heartily enjoy playing my horn and receive great satisfaction in playing, a kind of security blanket of happiness that musicians can appreciate. When I pick up a horn, particularly my own Alexander, I feel very much at home with my old friend and am ready to make music. In spite of my eclectic career that is now more or less administrative, I plan to be a horn player until the end, if for no other reason than it is great fun.

Back to horn shopping. We had a good day at the shop and it made me miss my horn obsessed days. It can really get in your blood. The owner of the shop was very helpful, quite knowledgable, and generously patient with us as we played horns. I am smiling when I think about the moment I cranked up the volume and heard the dog whine! Mostly I'm happy Jordan and Karley ended up with some good horns. Kudos to all the horn players in the world that keep this great instrument alive!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You got to play on a horn that Dennis Brain played. Wow, you are the luckiest guy in the world! I am jealous!

Sam