Thursday, June 16, 2011

Economy, Sports, Exercise

Those Mavericks were really something the other night, winning the championship and once again surging in the 4th quarter. Not an obsessed fan, but nevertheless always enjoying a good game, I was glued to the set and responded emotionally to every play. Great game for sure. And I love to see an exciting sports game of almost any kind. Good athletes are artists in a way with their ability to jump, shoot, run, move quickly, react, hit, throw--always impressive.

The economy is confusing me right now. Just read about the housing bust taking place in our country with values dropping almost daily and foreclosures at a high level. Visited with several unemployed people yesterday going about town hoping for nearly any job that is available. Unemployment is frightening on several levels as they seek to put food on the table, pay the rent, support themselves and their spouses in some instances.

Father's Day is coming up and I just read about the exhorbitant spending for iPads and accessories. The iGrill app is $99 and is selling rampantly right now, not to mention all the little stands and additions for the iPad. Plus most iPads are over $500 and supposedly 12 million have been sold the last couple of years. Hmmm...how does this demonstrate a struggling economy? On the other hand, I do love my iPad.

Took a break for a few minutes and ran a mile in 9 1/4 minutes. Now to me I felt as though I were sprinting the whole time, but to a real runner or an athlete my time is laughable especially considering how many run miles in under 5 minutes these days. Yesterday I ran a slow 3 miles but today I went for speed over distance and it felt good. Tomorrow will be another 3 mile run. My days of football playing are long over (okay, they never really started!) and my basketball game is pretty weak and clumsy. But I like to stay in shape and believe that life sports and exercise are valuable. Truthfully I don't enjoy exercising very much, huffing and puffing, muscles aching, losing time to read or write or practice, but I suppose it is all good for me. As a friend told me once--after a workout, you feel like you took a happy pill!

With the awful economy and unemployment and housing foreclosures and people struggling everywhere, how do we as a society justify the vast amount of money spent on professional and collegiate sports, for that matter even high school sports? I just read where collegiate spending has increased and we all hear about college head coaches making salaries beyond most Presidents. Add to this the stadiums, the trips, the meals, the uniforms, the facilities, and we see spending that is mind-boggling. A recent trip to experience a commencement at a large state school reminded me of the millions spent on upgrading the stadium, which is absolutely stunning in all respects.

Again, let me reiterate how much I love a good game and do not begrudge the success of others or the success of any discipline. As a believer in the free market system of supply and demand, I must conclude that sports is in high demand at all levels thereby resulting in a great supply. As long as we as a society are willing to pay to see a game, there will always be a game to see. As long as we encourage, support, and believe in sports, there will be money poured into it. If people are willing to spend over a thousand dollars to sit in a parking lot and watch a football game on the screen, a game taking place in the nearby stadium, there will be sports.

Yes, I enjoy it, maybe not enough to spend that much money to sit in a parking lot, but certainly enough to be a fan and spend some money for the entertainment of organized sports. Yes, I do keep up with the great players and love hearing statistics, those Reds are going to have a good season if they keep up the pitching. Colleges and Universities have gained greatly from the spirit and energy of their sports teams, a concept that somehow unifies and defines colleges throughout the country. Yet, I have to wonder a little at the excesses I see, and I have to wonder a little if it is bubble about to burst?

What if our energies, our money, our fun were spent on life health, on education, on relationships, on families, on the arts, or on pursuing Godly matters? How would these and more affect our economy, our culture, our world?

Keep the great teams playing, keep the athletes moving, keep the entertainment of sports, but as Aristotle once said, "Moderation in all things."

No comments: