Monday, April 04, 2011

Louisiana and the old days

Drove to Louisiana today as a part of a visiting team to look at another institution. Came through torrential storms but arrived safely and am now at a lovely motel. After a nice dinner of sushi which included raw eel, squid, salmon, mackerel, and tuna, I took a long walk through the piney woods of the area. Enjoyed the plethora of bird sounds--quite rhythmic and musical--the smell of trees, the damp freshness of pine after a rain storm, and the gentle pulsation of water running down the hillside. My brisk 2 1/2 mile walk brought me back to the motel for reading, study, and relaxation in preparation for meetings tomorrow.

It all brings back memories. My first college position was in Lake Charles, Louisiana at McNeese State University where I had students older than I was, a young 24 years of age upon acceptance of the position. What an academic puppy, eager, bouncy, confused, talented but somewhat raw and certainly opinionated. Hard work, constant horn playing, lots of teaching, travel, and dedication to the cause in those days. Truth is I have not changed all that much--just more seasoned I suppose.

We had a nice church family and started our own family with the birth of Jacob in 1986 followed by Joel in 1989. Clairissa got her Masters degree at McNeese State and I played countless performances with orchestras, bands, and a very active brass quintet. Back then I had no interest in broadway musicals or any kind of pop music. I really only cared about symphonic music--Brahms, Strauss, Beethoven, and Mahler. All music for horn players! Maybe I dabbled in jazz every now and then, remembering a horn workshop where I actually improvised with a combo. But I learned how to play Mozart and remain a good Mozart interpreter today.

Mostly I learned how academia works--committee meetings, funding, curriculum, policies, expectations, evaluations, and learning outcomes. I recall my first year when my horn was stolen and I did not perform a recital. The department chair ranked me last among the other music faculty members based on not doing a recital. Tough lesson. Did get the horn back nearly 2 years later! Mainly I learned how to be an educator and how to help others succeed.

We left Louisiana in 1990 with lots of tears, leaving behind great friends, and a nice job. But it was time and I made a career adjustment, not knowing whether I would return to higher education. Taught public school for five years and then took a position at Howard Payne University where I am today.

Every now and then though I wonder about it and miss the tall trees, the rain, the bird calls, and the friends back then. But life goes on and I have no regrets. Still, nice to be back for a couple of days.

No comments: