Monday, December 10, 2007

Typical Conversation

Dad: Hey Jordan, Porgy and Bess will be at Fair Park in Dallas at the end of February. Do you want to go?
Jordan: Sounds good to me.
Joel: What?
Dad: Porgy and Bess will be at Fair Park in Dallas. Are you interested in going also?
Joel: Maybe. Will there be an orchestra?
Dad: Yes
Joel: Will it be big?
Dad: I think so.
Joel: Will there be flutes?
Dad: Yes.
Joel: Clarinets?
Dad: Yes.
Joel: Oboes?
Dad: Yes.
Joel: Bassoons?
Dad: Yes.
Joel: Saxophones?
Dad: Not sure, but I think so.
Joel: Drums?
Dad: Yes.
Joel: Trumpets and Trombones?
Dad: Yes.
Joel: French Horns?
Dad: Yes.
Joel: Tubas?
Dad: Yes.
Joel: Violins and Violas and Cellos and the big, gigantic bass?
Dad: Yes, lots of instruments.
Joel: Will there be an organ?
Dad: I doubt it.
Joel: How come?
Dad: Usually there is not an organ in an orchestra playing for a show, but I am not sure about this one.
Joel: What about a piano?
Dad: Maybe so.
Joel: Oh, good.
(a moment of silence)
Joel: Will there be a tenor?
Dad: Yes, lots of singers.
Mom: Joel, it is an opera. Of course there will be tenors.
Joel: Lots of tenors?
Dad: Well, I think so.
Joel: How many tenors?
Dad: I don't know.
Joel: Probably, like about 6 or 8 or 10 tenors or 20 tenors.
Dad: Probably not that many.
Joel: A baritone?
Dad: Yes.
Joel: A soprano?
Dad: Yes. Probably a choir too.
Joel: A big choir with lots of people?
Dad: Maybe, but not too big since there is a stage.
Joel: How big is the choir?
Dad: Not sure, but it will be good.
Joel: How many are in the choir?
Dad: I really am not sure.
Joel: Who will be singing?
Dad: Not sure, but most of them will be of African-American descent like Gershwin intended.
(more silence)
Joel: How far away is it? Can we stay in a motel?
Dad: About 3 hours but we will probably not stay in a motel.
Joel: I like motels with pools. Indoor pools.
Dad: I know but they cost money and it will be enough just to pay for the show.
Joel: How much?
Dad: I am not sure yet.
Joel: About, like, $5.00?
Dad: More like $50 or $75 probably.
Joel: Oh. I have $50 but I want to buy a pin-stripe suit. Where will we eat?
Dad: Joel, I just don't know. It is not happening for several months and we don't usually plan our eating places that far in advance.
Joel: Can we eat Mexican food?
Dad: Maybe so.
Joel: With lots of chips and tacos and enchiladas and hot sauce?
Dad: Probably but let's don't think about that right now.
Joel: Okay. What time will we leave?
Dad: Maybe 3 or so.
Joel: What should I wear?
Dad: Well, I guess nice clothes but you don't need to worry about that right now.
Joel: Can I wear a tie?
Dad: Yes.
Joel: Should I wear a sweater or maybe a black shirt and tie?
Dad: Yes, but since it is a long time, let's don't talk about that.
(long silence)
Joel: Are there lots of songs?
Dad: Yes, like "Bess You Is My Woman Now" and "Summertime" and "I Got Plenty of Nothin"
Joel: Those are good songs.
Dad: Great songs.
Joel: Great songs. But I might not go.
Dad: (after thinking about that) Well, we'll talk more about it later.
Joel: But I might go.
Dad: Okay.
Joel: But I might stay home and eat Mexican food.
Dad: Maybe that is best.
Joel: But I want to see the orchestra.
Dad: Joel, let's talk more about this later. Right now it is time to eat.
Joel: Okay.

Thus is a typical conversation with our 18 year old autistic son, Joel!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't go into detail as to the conversation with Joel when he decides to name all of my possible friends in Brownwood and even in other cities. He starts out by asking if I'm going to see ......, then names them, one by one, first and last names, where they work and in what setting I might see them. He's a fascinating person, that's for sure.

Landry, Renée, and Baby Girl!!! said...

Fascinating is right!

Jeffrey Tucker said...

This is really a great post. Thank you for this!