Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Great Debate

There was a vital feeling of restless anticipation in the room before the debate began. Who would win? What would the discussion entail? Were they enemies or friends? These were just some of the questions in the minds of the audience as they entered the room, found a seat, and tried to avoid staring at the two gentlemen in the corner who were attired in Revolutionary costumes from 18th century America. One man wore a robe and looked quite the clergyman with a white wig and a serious expression and the other in more casual yet regal garments that spoke of opulence yet acceptance of common man. Sort of an "everyman" look but in a distinctly arrogant manner. No, the debate was not between Lincoln and Douglas but, instead, was between Jonathan Edwards and Benjamin Franklin, aka Jay Smith and me, Robert Tucker.

We began with some biographical information followed by a brief discourse on general thought and philosophy. Then the fun began. I, Ben, asked Jay, Jonathan, what good he had accomplished in the world? He responded with pious statements of spirituality and theology, mentioning man's depravity, man's need for God, and various Calvinistic tenants drawn from scripture. He delivered his lines with great passion, frequently mentioning the value of a spiritual life and reaching man's inner being.

After admonishing him for his excessive emotions and reminding him that a man of reason should always act in moderation, I proceeded to outline my position on man's role in the world as being obligated to help each other. I mentioned my deism and what that entails and he talked about the need for a God centered world and the value of spiritual matters, worship, and commitment to Biblical teachings and specifically the teachings of Christ. I said that I valued the teachings of Jesus as well but also valued Socrates as an equal (please remember this is Benjamin Franklin talking not me!).

I extolled the virtues of my inventions, my curiosity, my status as a gentleman, and my far-reaching contributions to improving the human condition. Unfortunately, I reminded the audience that I was a poor husband and not even a very good father to my children. I believed in morality, the greater good, and philanthropy, but not necessarily a spiritual relationship with God. I also frequently reminded the audience that I, Ben Franklin, became a wealthy man through my inventions but also from my involvement in the publishing world.

In the end, Benjamin Franklin was a remarkable inventor, humanitarian, public servant, statesmen, and diplomat. However his Christianity was that of Deism and he often displayed a lack of commitment to his marriage and his family. Edwards found that hole in Ben's life and emphasized that with great passion! Ben, of course, reminded him to calm down and use his reason rather than his emotions.

Who won the debate? Probably neither, but we certainly had great fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dearest Benjamin, whetherest thou or thee, you or me, the beauties of the intellect and the resonance of reason are but exposited not from the fountain of self, but from the richness of the eternal. Indeed, the beauty of science and the harmony of mathematics have already been attibuted to the fount of all such things, the living God. In the end, neither you nor I can possibly win individually; yet we both win as our nation benefits and our God is given glory in our discourse!