Thursday, November 24, 2022

Finding the Hot Roll

    The last two years have created an unusual culture mostly due to economic conditions. Whether one is a conservative or liberal, it is time to acknowledge that perhaps, at least to an extent, the valued stimulus money given to individuals, families, organizations, and businesses has contributed to a shock to our economy and resulted in inflation, interest rate increases, lack of employees, loss of goods, and a significant decline in customer service. We have all seen and experienced the lack of employees at restaurants, service organizations, and retail. While the business pressures continue, the weak labor market creates confusion, stress, and a loss of consumer confidence. 

     Recently, a reputable auto shop in the community called me to tell me my "seal" had arrived and I needed to bring my vehicle in for the repair. I informed the caller that my vehicle had been repaired two months ago and seemed to be working fine; however, if I need a new seal, I will be glad to bring my vehicle to the shop. The caller became confused and said the VIN was not available. I said I could get that to her if it made a difference. The caller then said my work order had not been cleared and wondered who told me my vehicle was fixed two months ago. Not remembering the name, I mentioned a gentleman with dark hair and a small beard wearing a work shirt and jeans. The caller then hesitated and said that pretty well described everybody in the shop. I gave up on the call and said thank you but I think my seal is fine now. 

    This conversation is not that unusual anymore in our society. Poor management and a lack of employees has resulted in terrible customer service and managerial confusion. This then leads to a drop of returning customers, adding further shock to businesses that are scrambling to keep margins high and meet customer demands. Good managers understand that it is all about customer service and having good systems in place to meet demand. 

    Years ago, I noticed a local restaurant had a large and consistent following. While the environment was pleasant, the food always consistently good, they also had a "magic" method of ensuring satisfied customers. While eating, an elderly gentleman came around with hot rolls and butter and offered these to all those in the restaurant. I later learned the gentleman was the owner. His decision to serve "free" rolls contributed greatly to satisfied customers. These customers then returned, often with friends and family. 

    It is time to take a page out of that success and transfer it everywhere. Regardless of the nature of the business, retail, service, business to business or industry, customer service is king. Managers need to identify what will cause customers to return and emphasize that every time. What is the "hot roll" you can provide for your customers? It could be excellence in quality, or efficiency in record-keeping, or simply a complementary good, or an environment that is clean, safe, and comfortable. Find your "hot roll" for your business and keep those customers coming back for more. 

No comments: