Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Doctoral work, the beginnings

Yes, I do already have a doctorate so why would I start yet another one? My Doctor of Philosophy in Fine Arts serves my profession well and having a research based degree with emphasis in music education and administration gives me the kind of credibility I need to be effective. But my objective side also enjoys the business world and I recognize the value of the market in shaping our culture. Fascinated with business ventures, the stock market, and the economy, I enjoy observing the growth and the decline of local and global businesses. It is all about finding and keeping customers, and selling the product. Customers may be local people walking around looking for a snack or customers may be giant conglomerates needing support from other businesses. The product could be an object, a good, a commodity, a service, or a need.

Rather than enter the business world myself, especially considering a lack of financial resources to begin the business I seek, I have decided to continue my education with the pursuit of a Doctorate in Business Administration with an emphasis on Management. Suddenly I find myself in an on-line class with 22 other people. The course is writing and research intensive and there is no room for citation error. Once again needing to learn APA format, I am frequently checking the manual on specific citation requirements.

The world has changed since my last dissertation which contained no web resources. Suddenly the world wide web is the springboard for research which may include books but mostly includes journal articles, surveys, data, and analysis. My previous research work did not include digital object identifiers for web resources such as journal articles and references. I am thrust into a world that has changed, for the better I might add, and I need to learn what to do. Admittedly I am strangely embarrassed that I have not kept up with the research world the last 15 years. It is neither fair nor right to teach college students in a style or even information that is not current. Yes, truth does not change but the way to discover that truth is completely new.

When did I become archaic, I ask myself? Was it the day I completed my PhD and began to be contented with my own accomplishments? A frightening thought indeed. How often does this happen to college teachers where they set their sights on a goal, reach the goal, and then stop learning? Yikes, the idea is completely deplorable to me, and I will not let that happen again. Regardless of where this pursuit takes me intellectually or otherwise, I am pleased to learn something new and to seek after a new goal. Have I become a life-long student? I think so and proud of it!


No comments: