Sunday, April 10, 2016

5K in the Rain

For many years I have wondered why these collective runs for different reasons exist. Why should I pay $25 to run 3.1 miles when I can run 3.1 miles every morning for free? Plus if I like a certain charitable cause, why not just give to the cause directly rather than have to run as a consequence of giving? There is a cost to running anyway--sore body, tired, sweat, shaky legs, smelly clothes, and wear and tear on shoes. Does it make any sense to add to the cost by adding to the cost? Also I have always enjoyed the solitude of quiet morning runs with nobody near me. A time to listen to audio books, sing songs in my head, reflect on life, pray, listen to the sounds around me. All these and more remind me of the wonderful world in which we reside.

Yet last November some dear friends paid my way to participate in a Turkey Trot. Hesitating at first, I decided to give it whirl and run the Turkey Trot. At that time I was in pretty good shape but had no illusions about winning or beating a time or even thinking about speed. I simply wanted to run the whole way and not have to stop to use a facility. Probably seems a trite goal to most people but for me it is a serious one. Probably due to being on certain medicine for my tendency toward blood clots, I have to keep facilities nearby for frequent use. Running 3.1 miles without needing to stop sounds a little crazy to me and almost not possible without a good plan. Can it be done? Perhaps. Is it normal for me? Not at all.

Then there is the problem of people. Will I look funny to others? Will they get in the way? Are they rude or mean? Weird? Loud? Remember that I normally run in solitude not in groups. But I do enjoy the occasional "risk" of something new and running in a Turkey Trot was something new. I jumped in the water so to speak and ran the race. I did not win anything, did not make any effort to win, but generally had a good time. Saw some friends along the way, passed many people, was passed by many people, and finished. We all received a trophy and there were cheers upon arrival. All in all a good experience, but not something to replicate. Still...not as terrible as I expected. I noticed a wide variety of people--large and small, older and younger, friendly and quiet, just people. Nobody was mean, loud, obnoxious, rude and nobody got in anybody's way. Just runners out for some exercise. Some walked, some sprinted, some seemed competitive, most just seemed to have a good time.

Assessing the Turkey Trot, I decided to try again. Picking up my packet at the run center, I was intrigued with how many people were about to run on Saturday. It was for a good educational purpose and they provided a shirt, water bottle, and some energy gel. Not big on energy things, other than a good cup of coffee, I decided to avoid the gel. Saturday morning arrived and I walked to the starting line with the other several hundred people and got ready to run. Once again I noticed children, adults, elderly, young, babies in strollers, and all sizes of people.

The race began and I once again had very little sense of competitiveness in me. My goals remained the same, get through it without needing a facility! Plus it was cold and raining pretty hard.The first two miles seemed difficult and my breathing felt erratic and labored. My legs hurt and I felt generally grouchy about it all. I only knew a couple of other people among the crowds and children kept passing me by. But the 3rd mile started feeling good so I upped my speed and began to run smoother. I kept the pace and saw the end in sight. Faster still, I felt my body respond well to the push and suddenly I felt strong. Keeping it strong to the end, I knew I had actually done fairly well. Unfortunately I was soaked from head to toe in a mixture of rain and sweat. I was still cold and a little grouchy but the euphoria of the event was affecting my emotions as well. I wanted to cheer but that seemed a little self aggrandizing.

Time to walk home. A friend stopped me and said, "don't you want to stay for the awards?" "Of course not," I answered. After all, my goal had been met! Received a text later. Turns out that I won 3rd place in my age division. Having never won any kind of athletic event before, it now feels good. Maybe there is something to this group running idea. The event held me accountable, it pushed me to a new level, and I was rewarded with a ribbon. Good stuff!

Now it is the next day and I am sore from the experience. Legs hurt, hips sore, body tight. But for some reason, it feels good. May try the group run thing again.


No comments: