Sunday, May 10, 2015

Packages, Music, and Men

Received a package from Amazon yesterday and after opening the box, realized I had more to open. Being a big fan of Amazon and championing their system at every opportunity, I was excited to read the words "frustration-free packaging." My frustration over the packaging we deal with in our society is often at a high point as I open paper towels, socks, medicine bottles, a new shirt, yogurt, and virtually everything one purchases at a store. Particularly with a thumb that no longer functions as well, opening anything is a significant challenge usually requiring a careful use of scissors so as not to damage the product. The time wasted opening items must equal at least a month over a lifetime!

But much to my excitement, the package claimed it was "frustration-free packaging." Diving in with a smile on my face and joy in my countenance, I began opening the package. I'll give them this, it did not require scissors and it was much less frustrating than packages one gets at Walmart or Dillards. But it was not frustration free and I once again felt the pain of cardboard as I push and pulled to get the items out. I suppose, however, that true frustration-free packaging to me would mean someone walked up to me and handed me the item which I would then begin using without any preparation. I guess I will accept the idea of "less frustration" in the packaging of Amazon products. After all, it is still a terrific company.

Studying the life of Stevie Wonder and thinking through musicians from the past and present, I am a little concerned about two trends in music training. One is that fewer students are taking piano lessons for any extended time and two is that fewer boys seem to be involved in music apart from playing in band, and then sometimes for only a short time. I have no empirical evidence to support this claim and would like to be proven wrong, but it does seem to be true by all appearances. When did music become a "feminine" activity? Is this true for all the arts? Males do sports and girls do arts? This makes no sense to me and makes me wonder if our "football" based culture is somehow contributing to this absurd stereo-type. Yet, even as I type, I have to believe it is a temporary cultural change that will not be sustained. Art belongs to everyone, male and female, just as sports also belongs to the masses.

Meanwhile to all those artists out there, whether that be in visual art, music, or theatre, I urge you to continue your journey. There is a place for you in the world but be mindful of shifting attitudes toward the arts. They are valued but maybe not in the same way they once were. The wise and nimble artist stays current with trends while seeking after integrity in all things. Mostly, let's move away from any kind of notion that the arts are a "feminine" endeavor. What an absurd idea.





No comments: